Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my dash assembly voltage regulator today (along w/ the waterpump). The one that was mounted was jerry-rigged good w/ REALLY thin wire and was soldered. Fortunately, all the original wiring and connectors were intact.

When the new one was mounted, I noticed my guages all read different than before. They were "working" before, but I guess they were all off. The temp. guage went from being at about half-way to about 3/4 or more when hot, the oil pressure guage jumped from half to about 7/8, and the fuel sending unit appears to be more accurate than I once thought.

Any ideas as to what has happened? Should I be concerned about the oil pressure or temp.? They seem a little high. The motor has less than 1,000 on a rebuild from last May.

Thanks,

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

·
Registered
35,353 Posts
The constant voltage regulator is adjustable. The adjustment will affect Fuel, Oil and Water Temp. I'd adjust the CVR to what the previous readings were.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually you'd probably want to adjust it so that the oil, temp and fuel gauges read full when you disconnect the sender leads and ground them. Or you could take the technical route and measure the voltage coming out of the regulator (should be about 5.8 volts when measured DC, IIRC), but the first method is much simpler and actually more accurate :)

If any of your gauges are still reading incorrectly after you've set them this way, your problem lies in the associated sender (or in the case of the fuel tank, possibly a poor tank-to-chassis ground). The oil pressure sender, in particular, seems prone to moving toward the high end of the scale as it degrades.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
I adjusted the CVR so that the fuel gauge measured correctly at 1/2 or 1/4 tank (take your pick). That requires monitoring your mileage over time, and guestimating when you've gone enough miles on a full tank to read 1/2 or 1/4. The oil and temperature gauges are only "indicators" of anomalous readings from whatever they normally sit at. The fuel gauge is important, as you don't want to run out of gas and have all the BrandX car owners laughing at you.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts