Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to clean the lens of my dash clock this morning....use some paste for cleaning mags and then buffed it with my dremmel.....OMG, WTF....the lens was marked with swirls incrusted in the plastic, rush to get some WD40 to dilute everything up and clean it....WORST, it turned out that the stuff melted in the plastic, it's like coated beyond buffable anymore....Now what, would a plastic paste and a buffer bring back the plastic or do i have to look for a repop one....or does anyone has one for sale? Man that sucks....
Dan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello,
It sounds like the plastic is pretty screwed up now. Before investing on plastic polish, try using toothpaste as the polish. It usually will work out most scratches. I haven't heard anything about the repop lens. I will ask my vendor tomorrow at the car show then let you know.
Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JoePK said:
Hello,
It sounds like the plastic is pretty screwed up now. Before investing on plastic polish, try using toothpaste as the polish. It usually will work out most scratches. I haven't heard anything about the repop lens. I will ask my vendor tomorrow at the car show then let you know.
Good luck,
Joe
I think i'm screwed big time now.....nothing will remove the incrusted swirls and big scratches....i've seen them on MU web site, they go for $49 with the pointer....i'll post here to see if anyone has a used one...

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Sopunds like it is time for a repop unless you want to stay original you might find a good used one. Good Luck

·
Registered
339 Posts
You might be able to sand the surface smooth with wet and dry paper working from 800 up to 8000 grit. Then use a dedicated plastic polish like Mcguires and go slow to keep the heat down. Lots of work but might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I know its a little to late for you, but using a Dremel on plastic for polishing is a bad idea. You have too small of a contact patch, and get too much heat at the contact point, causing the the plastic to melt and craze.
I've used a canton flannel buff wheel on a buffer, you have to use VERY light pressure, or you'll get the same crazing.
As far as saving your lens, you can start with 600 grit, and work your way up. You can end up with a decent job, if you take your time, but I think you're better going with a repop.

Carl

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
My wife dumped her IPod face first into the dirt which put some heavy scratches right across the video screen. I used some plastic polish and the Dremmel. Basically, I used a sea of polish on the face and a medium low speed and continually replenished the sea. It made a heck of a mess and took about an hour or so, but I got the scratches to not be noticeable unless you tilt it just right. I also have the flexible shaft so I was negotiating a much smaller mass while performing the polishing. Ate up a couple of buffing wheels too.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it was stupid of me to do that, i think i even qualify for the doofus award....You learn from your mistake.....worst part is that the lens wasn't so bad at all....silly me...I'll try the sand paper thing and see whatkind of results it will give....if i'm not happy with the results (which is almost the case), i'll try to find a good used one or repop...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update: guess what ! I'll order a repop.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
This may not work at all, but with radio control planes we get the canopiesscratche at times. Some guys have had success with using a clear coat spray. It would either work or screw it up completely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts