Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my headlight switch in hopes it would fix my dash lights but no. Replaced the fuse, no. Is there regulator or something else it could be? I remember something on the back but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
What's wrong with your dash lights?

If they don't work maybe its as simple as burned out bulbs.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,588 Posts
In order of increasing complexity:
First, make sure that the rheostat in the headlight switch is turned all the way up.

Second, make sure that the dash light circuit (blue with red stripe IIRC) is getting power from the headlight switch

Third, pull the instrument bezel out and check the bulbs

Fourth, check the wiring for breaks, corrosion, and continuity

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
easy things first. check the fuse(you might have blown it when you replaced the switch. the check the contacts and maybe fiddle with the bulb holder(i fixed my turnsignals like that) make sure that the bulb is good and then start to check the wiring.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no dashlights ( can't see my guages if I drive at night). Like I said I checked the fuse, replaced it. All of the bulbs are not working. Possible that they all blew at the same time? The headlight switch works when all the way turned it turns on the lights under the dash, floor lights. I have to check the wiring this weekend.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
if you shorted the circit out then yah they can all blow from too much voltage. check out the voltage regualtor and find out where you are loosing the connection. before or after the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts