Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know about cars other than 71-73, but for us, when you turn on the lights, the dash lights behind all gauges and AC unit are green. My brother and I were talking about it and he thinks that it's probably some sort of "gel" that stick behind it that gives it the green color. Is this true? If so, is there anyone out there that has changed them? If possible, I'd like to change them to a "red-ish"/"orangie" color (something like the new BMWs). If you guys have any pictures of this, it would be even better.

Like always, Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The green tint comes from plastic covers installed where the bulb sockets plug into.FastE

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you change the plastic cover? Or am I stuck with the originals?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
A lot of people take them off because they decrease the amount of dash light. I suppose you could take them off, remove the tinting, and tint them a different color? While you have the dash apart, paint all the white part with silver paint to optimize the dash lighting.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
i believe NPD or Mustangs Unlimited are making the red lens covers. heard someone mentioning buying them on here awhile back. may check either catalog. almost positive it is NPD. Haven't done mine yet, but i have bought colored bulbs for my dash. they sell blue, green, and i believe red colored bulbs at any automotive place (even wally world)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I changed mine to the red lenses, and i think it looks pretty damn good. Id take pictures but im having dash light problems, sometihng is grounding it out. But with the lenses themselves, pretty freaken awsome. To install, you have to take the whole dash cluster out. Remove the backing. The screws that hold the old blue/green lenses in is a 1/4 screw. YOu might have to take the gauges out of the housing to get a socket on them. Its about a 30-hr job, thats mainly taking out and reinstalling the cluster. In the end its worth it. I have an aftermarket Alpine Cd player, and it has the option of having green lights and red/amber. It looks real sharp when everytihng is amber/red. I like it personally because my car has a red black scheme paint job and interior.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please tell me you mean 30 mins to an hour job instead of 30 hour job. And secondly, do they make these sockets for the 71-73 stangs? Either way, where did you get yours at? Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, 30 minutes to an hour job. Not 30 hr job, lol. I got mine at Mustangs Unlimited. They are made by Scott Drake, but i could only find sets for 65-55. Which means i had to by 2, since 67 Custers have 6 lenses instead of 4. You might need to count yours before u place the order. The socket you use is just a standard 1/4 socket. No special tool or anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts