Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired another 69 coupe. The previous owner did a lot of work, but never finished the project, before he passed. It has a fully built 250, with a Weber 38/38 conversion. I put in a fresh, hot C4. It has new steering, new suspension, power discs. It is a 5 lug car due to being a 250 car from factory. The interior has new upholstery installed onto seat frames, gauge assembly restored. The car is a Wimbledon white/ red interior car. It has brand new scoop installed. 2 complete sets of side glass in clear and AC green. It has everythin needed to complete resto, including tons of new parts still boxes. I got lucky and got a project that was nearly complete. Now my question:
PO attempted to dye a brand new dash pad. It looks fantastic. It was a white pad (new), but he dyed it red. It must not have been vinyl dye, as it will easily scratch off. Now I have to remedy this and save this new dashpad. What would be best way to remove old paint, and apply correct vinyl dye?

My thoughts are to use a scuff pad to remove paint, clean it up w/ acetone to get vinyl clean and “soft” then apply the vinyl dye. anyone object to this or have another solution.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is short vid of first firing of motor in 4 years since rebuild. It’s running on remote gas tank you can see on shock tower. The new gas tank and sending unit were destroyed by 4 year old ethanol gas left in tank. Not even worth saving, just got new stuff. It’s a hot little 6, I think the guy was following Falcon handbook on building the 250 for max power. I don’t know cam, or amount of head work done, but the 2bbl conversion looks beautiful, someone did a really good job. Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well realistically...it could be a year or more easily. Car needs full paint, glass install, interior install, dash assembly, and reassembly after paint. I want to change the rear gears from the 2.8 to a 3.00 I have in the garage. Also it does need the drop, and rear springs are brand new 5 leaf standard eye, so, they are a little tall for me. I'd prefer the reverse eye, but may use some lowering blocks for now. New coils in front are of unknown size, but have 3 inches between tire and fender, so these coils may get trimmed for now. I would prefer moog 8534 coils. I think between the drop, and removal of 1/4 coil, I might be more in the ballpark. Plus the lowering blocks in rear will help too. My Wife has decided it IS her car...Oh yeah! I guess it's a keeper. It had a leaking C4, so I swapped to a fresh rebuilt C4, w/ shift kit, and an H servo upgrade. It should do pretty well for a sixer. I also need exhaust...that will be a custom job for sure. It will go back to Wimbledon white. I've gotten deep into engines, trans, suspension, so now I'm going to have to try and squirt some paint...we shall see.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
I don't know what acetone will do to the vinyl.... maybe melt it? I used the "environmentally safe" citrus-based paint remover on interior plastic with good results.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the past somewhere, I read that a little acetone on dashpads, and armrests before spraying the dye will help adhesion as it “softens” the vinyl a little and helps it bond better. this may not be the case, but it was successful on the first resto I did nearly 20 years ago. Armrest and dashpad still look new. Creature of habit I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts