Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who has a dash pad reconditioned or know of anyone who does it, I have a nice one other then 2 splits at the speaker grill

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had mine done 67 Mustang. I had a small tear in the driver side top near the windshield. It came out okay not perfect but it's hard to see. He dyed the whole pad so it looks almost new. The place that did mine was pretty local but I think they are a franchise it's called Fibrenew. What about a repro?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wimbleton White

I just tore out the old dash panel on my '65 and am ready to replace it with a new one; the old one was easy to remove and I watched the YouTube Video for installation online put out by CJ Pony Parts. Any wisdom when I go to install the new one ? I sense there will have to be some trimming done for it to fit under the windshield trim. Is it best to do the trimming once it is secured to the front of the dashboard, or trim and fit before securing ? The old one was cracked and faded beyond restoration. The material, being thick, seems like it will be difficult to trim with a razor blade or exacto knife once in place.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If the windshield is out it will be easier to trim. If not use the old one as a template. The hardest part is getting the screws back in for the lower inside trim with the windshield in.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Is there anyone who has a dash pad reconditioned or know of anyone who does it, I have a nice one other then 2 splits at the speaker grill
What year?

P

·
0 Posts
The Ford tooling dash pads are not bad. They are about $350 and fit fairly well. The only true redo of a stock dash that I know of costs more than double that price.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice; I anticipate that installing the new dash panel will take a good 2-3 hours with a few trim and cut refits to get a good line up for the speaker and defrost vent holes before the final inside window trim is screwed into place.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks for the advice; I anticipate that installing the new dash panel will take a good 2-3 hours with a few trim and cut refits to get a good line up for the speaker and defrost vent holes before the final inside window trim is screwed into place.
What window trim? You don't have to pull that in a 69/70 to get the dash pad off. Or on. I had mine off and on in less than an hour. The Ford tooling version fit my car just fine. I think the padding could come down a bit farther above the radio area, but all the screw holes lined up just fine. No trimming or cutting involved.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Not sure if there are multiple years being talked about in this thread, but the 69/70 is very simple to replace, no trimming required. As far as repair, that's not as easy. It has a textured finish that would have to be reproduced one the crack is filled. Originals are hard as a rock now and crack very easily as the once soft foam under the vinyl cover is like cotton candy now. They make covers that go over your dash pad, less expensive but those do not look as nice as a good repo replacement pad.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got a Ford Tooling pad from cjponyparts for my '65.......on sale too....... :grin2:
I had to do only a little minor trimming at the ends.
A razor blade worked fine.
The fit was perfect.
As mentioned above you'll spend more time getting the lower windshield trim screws in than the rest of the job........ :crybaby:
You might as well order new defroster hoses while you're at it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
What window trim? You don't have to pull that in a 69/70 to get the dash pad off. Or on. I had mine off and on in less than an hour. The Ford tooling version fit my car just fine. I think the padding could come down a bit farther above the radio area, but all the screw holes lined up just fine. No trimming or cutting involved.
The window trim in the '65 he owns that he was asking a question about in his first post.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just tore out the old dash panel on my '65 and am ready to replace it with a new one; the old one was easy to remove and I watched the YouTube Video for installation online put out by CJ Pony Parts. Any wisdom when I go to install the new one ? I sense there will have to be some trimming done for it to fit under the windshield trim. Is it best to do the trimming once it is secured to the front of the dashboard, or trim and fit before securing ? The old one was cracked and faded beyond restoration. The material, being thick, seems like it will be difficult to trim with a razor blade or exacto knife once in place.
If you get the Ford Tooling one such as...Mustang Dash Pad Ford Tooling Black 1965

there is no trimming needed at all! I got the same pad (actually I got the '66, it fit right in and then I put the trim back in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The trim I am speaking of is probably more accurately called the dash board trim that runs along the inside of the window to cover up the edge of the dash board. This area will seem to be the area in need of the best trimming and massaging, so to speak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts