Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any experience with the 69 or 70 glue on dash pads? I saw one the other day that was really warped in the front next to the window, heat I guess. Are they all made the same?

·
Registered
194 Posts
They are all crap. They are very stiff vinal, the heat warps them after a few years. My PO put one on my 72, it did the same thing you describe. They are just a band-aid, but at only 50% of a new dash pad price, they are tough to pass up sometimes.

G

·
0 Posts
When I bought my 70 Mach 1, it had a cover on the dash. It looked pretty good except it just didn't look right around the center A/C vent. It looked a little crooked. I bought a Dashes Direct orignal ford tooling dash pad from Virginia Mustangs. There was some problem with the fit around the intrument panel. I think if you take your time with glueing the cover on your orignal dash it should work OK unless you are fixing up a show car. I deafently wouldn't buy a repo dash. The orignal ford tooling dash is OK but you have to work with it, it doesn't bolt right in. If you have the money the orignal dash pad $450.00 would be the way to go. I bought one for a prior Mustang I had and it fit with no problems.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have had a good experience with it. I got it from Mustangs Plus. The fit is very good, and it went on easily. The dash needs a little painting since it is being changed from brown to black. It was also much, much cheaper than the replacement. IF you have the money, I recommend the replacement, but at 500 dollars, it was out of my budget.

If you want any pictures PM me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a dashpad cover for my 70 coupe but I haven't put it on yet. Basically I bought it because I cannot afford to pay $500 for an original or whatnot. It's affordable that's all I can say.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I,ve got one on my car previous owner installed fits quite well except were it rolls around the side of the dash just not quite long enough otherwise you wouldn,t know it had one on it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have one in my '69 sportsroof. I was actually pleased with the quality, considering it's $65 vs. $300 for the re-tooled ones, and 2 arms and a leg for an original.

Mine's about a year old and has held up well so far through the 100+ degree days of a Sacramento summer, but it's spent it's whole life so far in the garage, not in the direct sunlight (I think it's seen direct sunlight for a total of 10 miles right now).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts