Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mustang Enthusiasts!

Any recommendations for me to even out the dashboard that is "buckling"( for lack of a better descriptive word)? A brief history on my 1965 GT convertible, 289 v8... I purchased my first Mustang over 2 years ago in northern Pennsylvania. The classic car dealer who sold me the car said the car was garaged kept since 1988 to 2019 when I purchased it. He also said the family in New Jersey who previously owned it only driven it 500 miles in 31 years. The car went thru a restoration in 1988 by Glazer's Mustang Barn. I have few Polaroid pictures of when the car was at Glazer's. Last summer I replaced the original heater core, heater plenum, and defroster ducts with new parts. Could the heat from the worn out ducts cause the warping or buckling by the window molding?

I was thinking of the most economical solution to smooth out the dashboard with some type of adhesive. Is that a logical and economical solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Honestly, I think you should just replace the dash pad. It’s more likely sun damage and heat from there than anything from your heating system. The pads get worn out over time.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback 289-2V, 3-Speed M/T
181 Posts
Hard to say, but I would agree that sun damage is the more likely culprit. I have see some articles claiming that some (reflective) windows on homes and apartments are reflecting heat and melting neighbors vinyl siding and plastic bumpers on cars. I would opt for a new dash pad myself. I also have a dash pad cover on mine (came with the car when I bought it) as the Texas sun/heat is brutal on any car.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
Typical sun damage. Even age will do this. The only fix is replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue on the dashpad for my 66 recently. It was warped from age and temperature exposure. Purchased a Ford tooling pad from dashes direct. Have test fit it and it fits well, can't speak to the holes lining up (didn't bolt it in) but from an overall fit perspective it seemed fine.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I’ve seen that before, and I think it’s because it’s one of the thin, cheap reproduction pads from the 80’s..The new reproductions from Dashes Direct are really nice and seem to be thicker and heavier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts