Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has ever seen a correction made on a data plate. I’m curious if this was a correction from the factory or by a previous owner. In my circumstance, it is the exterior color code. Looks like it was originally “K” (smoke silver) but was changed/corrected to “X” (vintage burgundy) which the car cis currently painted. From the door jams, underneath the hood and trunk, it seems that burgundy is the original color but I would never know until I pull the carpet and look at the floor boards.

Just seeing if anyone knows whether this could possibly have been an original data plate correction from the factory or if one of the previous owners engraved the “X” in place.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Big clue-The bolts in the door, holding the fenders and the door latch, meaning those non-exposed sufaces are generally not painted unless there has been a color change.
The door latch, too. It's easy enough to pull a door sill plate and lift the carpet to look for paint but it could have been sprayed there too. Don't confuse red oxide primer (dull orangey red color) with Vintage Burgundy paint or overspray. It's look likely the original Silver Smoke Gray is under those bolt heads or in other places where a painter was cutting corners, and the mark on the top of the data tag was a lazy attempt to pass off the car's color as original. The tags are reverse stamped with raised letters.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I've seen corrected (or double stamped) apron vins, but never on the data warranty tags. As stated above, they were reverse stamped. I'm guessing someone changed the car's color sometime in it's life, and decided to change the data plate to match. No need really, as the tag is not for registration purposes; it clearly states that right on the tag itself. I wouldn't be worried about it- doesn't effect the car's value imo.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If you are gonna restore the car, you can have a data plate reproduced, and though I would not, the color and interior can be made pretty much anything BUT it should match the body buck tag in my opinion. I am an "original" kind of guy myself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have not seen a "correction". However, I HAVE seen a mistake. I looked at a '65 coupe/289/4-speed in turquoise last year that was for sale. The warranty plate VIN was off by one digit compared to the fender VIN (the sequence portion.) All of the warranty plate numbers appeared to match up with how the car appeared. I ended up walking away from the deal to avoid having to get it cleared up.

As far as a "correction", it means that the stamper made a mistake that was discovered while in the factory and, instead of making another plate, it was decided to put the X over the K and move on. Personally, I'm skeptical of it being a "correction" by the factory. I'm in the "some guy stamped over the original" camp. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I’m not too worried about the correctness of the tag but I’d like to know what the original color is as I’d like to one say restore it back to its original color. Though my dream would be to go completely off track with a bright white pint job and red interior!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Though my dream would be to go completely off track with a bright white pint job and red interior!

Follow your dream! Your car is not rare (nor is mine or most others), and any sensible color will not affect value, unless of course you go for a total concours restoration.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Though my dream would be to go completely off track with a bright white pint job and red interior!

Follow your dream! Your car is not rare (nor is mine or most others), and any sensible color will not affect value, unless of course you go for a total concours restoration.
Very true and I agree! After I get this thing home I’ll evaluate what I really want to do and see how much money I have left in the piggy bank to get it to where I want.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Big clue-The bolts in the door, holding the fenders and the door latch, meaning those non-exposed sufaces are generally not painted unless there has been a color change.
And the data plate itself, with some paint on it. Color change definitely.

Josep

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Repaint....!

Someone re-painted your car to Vintage Burgundy....and decided to stamp an "X" (Not good I might add) to make it look like it came that way. The Dataplates were Reverse Stamped....not Front Stamped like the "X" Correction.... BIG TIP-OFF.

If you look under the dash...or under the trunk Weatherstrip...or even under the Door Sill Plate(s)... You'll most likely find the Original color of your car. (Hint: It's NOT Vintage Burgundy)....lol... A Close-up look of the "Stamped over Letter" reveals that it is a "K" which translates as "Silver Smoke Gray" as your Original Car's Color.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm… As much as I like Vintage Burgundy, the rare Silver Smoke Gray is outstanding.

I started searching silver smoke gray FBs last night and honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a mustang with this color. I actually like a lot!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I’m not too worried about the correctness of the tag but I’d like to know what the original color is as I’d like to one say restore it back to its original color. Though my dream would be to go completely off track with a bright white pint job and red interior!
Your car is a 1966. You could paint it however you want and have marti make you the correct tag. I am very skeptical of that being a factory mistake. Looks like someone used a screwdriver to do it and I would assume if there was a correction, it would have been done from reverse side.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Silver/Gray vehicles. An automotive colors study description reads: "Unobtrusive and seeks to blend in". The least amount of awareness factor for other drivers to register visually and be cognizant of. Fairly unpopular compared to nearly all other colors unless it's a traditional Porsche, of coursha. About 1/3 of all Porsche production is "Arctic Silver", did you know that? There's another Porsche silver though, "Polar Silver", which is a special order color that costs like $3K extra to get. It's so fine a metallic, and so deep looking you'd think you could dip your hand right into it.
Silver Smoke Gray was rare as 22GT stated, but for good reason. :wink:
Gray cars (and green) made a huge leap in popularity in the mid nineties and that continues today. Green has the "Green" connotation of earth friendly. Gray I believe became popular during that economic boom when people were buying new cars but didn't want other folk to think they were being flashy. I used to order all the BMW, Porsche, and Acura cars for a big dealership. I could order whatever I wanted and the trick was to order the colors that were in demand and sold quickly. I remember one particular BMW color, Aspen Silver, that was really a gray metallic with a pinkish tint to it. I tried a few of those in the 5 series and found out some women thought it was pretty, but men hated it.
Those cars were hard sells that sat on the lot longer than any others. :frown2:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Man I picture a Silver Smoke Grey as a silver metallic color and it would look AMAZING with a red (or black or custom grey) interior and some red GT stripes, Styled Steel Wheels with red center caps, maybe even redline tires... MMMMMmmmmm.....

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Looks like the 'X' was done with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. At the very least, they would have used a real set of letter punches. SSG is a pretty color. You don't see it even at the big shows most times on a stock car. Eleanor or Eleanor-ish rides are another story. Funny that in 22GT's pic *THE* most common color is right next to his example car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts