Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34,324 Posts
I believe my 67 has the original data plate. Maybe I should say the data plate looks original to the door.

Exterior color is stamped from the back M8.

M = Wimbledon White

8 = Springtime Yellow

The PO says the car is Wimbledon White, I say it looks to dark to be Wimbledon White and not yellow enough to be Springtime Yellow. So IDK, its a mystery.

Im in Georgia, my car has a Atlanta DSO, Im sure it has changed hands many times and had extensive work done on it over the years.

Everything else on the data plate matches up.
Lots of times the stampings don't line up correctly with the labels so maybe it's possible the "8" belongs somewhere else? Got a photo?

·
Vendor
3,628 Posts
Would love to do a full red interior conversion...may still need to do it even if I stay with SSG. Funny how I hated red interior in the Foxbody and Sn95 mustangs but for some reason it looks great in these classics!
For me, one of the greatest features/characteristics of 50's/60's/70's cars (I'm speaking in general, not just Mustang alone), is that the manufacturers gave consumers SO MANY crazy and wild choices for interior trims and colors! You could go blue, or green, or white, or red, or tan, or even sometimes bright yellow or orange... You could do all-vinyl, leather, comfortweave, cloths, crazy/beautiful embroidered fabrics, PLAID, etc.. There was so much choice, such that if you special-ordered, you could truly make your car "your car".

These days, you get black, gray or tan... Mostly in leather that's not really leather (it's vinyl-coated). If you want to get a red, or green, or blue interior, you've got to special-order with a German, British or Italian manufacturer, and be ready to scratch a 6-figure check. It's the only way you can buy a new vehicle that's truly personalized and relatively unique.

So when I commonly see guys, yanking their factory original blue or red or white interiors, and replacing it all with black... For me, I just don't get it.. That's taking one of the neatest aspects/personalities of 60's/70's Mustangs, and tossing it in favor of the same cave-like black cabin you get standard in any car today.

When in Rome..... :) ;)

·
Registered
34,324 Posts
For me, one of the greatest features/characteristics of 50's/60's/70's cars (I'm speaking in general, not just Mustang alone), is that the manufacturers gave consumers SO MANY crazy and wild choices for interior trims and colors! You could go blue, or green, or white, or red, or tan, or even sometimes bright yellow or orange... You could do all-vinyl, leather, comfortweave, cloths, crazy/beautiful embroidered fabrics, PLAID, etc.. There was so much choice, such that if you special-ordered, you could truly make your car "your car".

These days, you get black, gray or tan... Mostly in leather that's not really leather (it's vinyl-coated). If you want to get a red, or green, or blue interior, you've got to special-order with a German, British or Italian manufacturer, and be ready to scratch a 6-figure check. It's the only way you can buy a new vehicle that's truly personalized and relatively unique.

So when I commonly see guys, yanking their factory original blue or red or white interiors, and replacing it all with black... For me, I just don't get it.. That's taking one of the neatest aspects/personalities of 60's/70's Mustangs, and tossing it in favor of the same cave-like black cabin you get standard in any car today.

When in Rome..... :) ;)
Man! You said it in a nutshell. The other thing that's missing in today's car buying/owning experience is STYLING. It used to be a form of art. Nowadays unless you can see the manufacturers name or logo it's hard to tell just what kind of "blob on 4 wheels" you might see.... it could be a Mercedes or it could be a Kia....:crying:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I completely agree that these cars are special because they can and did come in a very wide variety of color combinations. In my situation, I will have the standard black interior which I’m highly considering pulling out to change to all red. I’m just a bit hesitant for two reasons:

1. I’ve seen some color swapped interiors and some of the plastic panels look awful after they’re pinted (though this could have well been due to poor workmanship).

2. I’m somewhat of a purist and appreciate cars that retain their “original” look to a certain extent.

Whichever way I end up going, it will end up being a process and actually a “good problem” to have 😄

41 - 44 of 44 Posts