Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know if it is possible to find out what items (i.e. trim package,axle,trans,DSO) were originally installed on the car using only the VIN # ? I bought a car(or should I say shell?) that was missing the data plate and I would like to replace it with one with the correct data for that car. Here's what I do know about it: 65 fastback,built in San Jose plant, C-code engine,original color Wimbledon White,I think it was an auto trans because there didn't appear to be anything ever attached to the place where the equalizer bar bracket would go on the frame. The car has no interior so I'm not sure of it's color. The rear end was taken out so I have no clue what ratio it was. I'm assuming that the DSO was 72 (San Jose) because it has always been a California car, and always in the Bay Area.Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Odds are it had a standard black interior. Rear gears were more than likely the 2.80. You can get a good idea of the projected build date by posting your vin and someone here can look up surrounding cars and their build dates for you.

Most of the early cars came pretty basic.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
529 Posts
Look up inside at the roof where the panels meet at the A-pillar (where sunvisor mounts). You should see some overspray from painting the A-pillars the interior color. in 1965, every interior color was available with wimbledon white so you could have blue, red, black, white, aqua, palamino, or ivy gold.
Rear was probably a 2.80:1.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12039610&p=44141294.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the info guys. I now have an idea of what I'm working with. I also need to know if anyone can supply a duplicate door tag with the correct info,or am I basically up a creek on that one. Please don't shoot me, but my plans won't actually include any of the original equipment, I only need the plate to keep the folks at DMV happy.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts