Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 convertible. The data plate is missing from the drivers door. I can buy a data plate and have it stamped out, but how do I determine the factual data that belongs there? I can get some of it from the vin # obviously, but what about the rest? Do I have to take a best guess at it?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Plate

Hey TC
If 1 or more of the 3 fender apron stampings is still present and legible, you can get on these forums and almost every piece of the puzle can be figured out, and a new Dataplate can be ordered from Marti Works.

They have the OEM rivets to put it on with too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some things, like the sales district, will never be known. Other things like trim code, colors, transmissions, axles, etc., can be deduced. On a car that has been previously restored or changed around, it can be near impossible to figure even the simple things out, unfortunately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey TC
If 1 or more of the 3 fender apron stampings is still present and legible, you can get on these forums and almost every piece of the puzle can be figured out, and a new Dataplate can be ordered from Marti Works.

They have the OEM rivets to put it on with too.
The car was hit many moons ago on the left front. It sat in (you guessed it!) a barn for about 25 years. An old man I know bought the car and sent it out to have the core support and left apron replaced, he was going to restore it but got in over his head. I bought the car a few years ago and started putting it back together, drawing from my Mustang encounters when I was much younger. The stamping was gone from the new parts, but the right side apron had the stamp in it that I compared to the title. But it seems to me, it was just the vin #?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yes

From the VIN, the last 6 digits are the consecutive unit #. The experts can tell you within a day or two, when your car was assembled.

BODY is easy
COLOR look in behind kick panels or inside trunk looking upward on undersides.
TRIM find some trace evidence of interior color (exterior is a clue)
DSO will always be a mystery
AXLE probably still original
TRANS should be some clues to the puzzle still present

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
If you have a NJ built car (VIN would start with 5T) it would
have a buck tag fastened to the apron, Dearborn cars (5F)
didn't have one. The buck tag would give you a little more info.

I have a book as others do that has several VIN numbers in it with
date codes so we can get you close to the scheduled date with
your VIN. Leave me a PM and I can let you know.

Other than that the DSO would be the only other unknown.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car was a basket case, it had several boxes of parts that came with it. I am not sure if they were on the car or were collected for the car. The original engine (289 4v) and transmission (4 speed) appear to be in the car. When I decoded the steering box it was a short ratio, and the car has factory disc brakes. It also had a rally pac still mounted to the steering column. I know it was built in San Jose, California according to the VIN.

VIN # 5R08A237633

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Sounds like the car may be a GT
Was your steering gear a HCC-AX?

From the book "Mustang Production Guide"

237733 26T
237869 26T
238095 26T

Looks like 26T (June 26, 1965) is a good bet on your date code.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You made me put my slippers on and go look, LOL.

It is HCC-AX. I had done the research on this and I remember seeing that another telltale sign of GT was some exhaust hanger brackets behind the back seat? My car does not have them, but it's hard to say weather or not they had been removed at some point. There was some signs of welding back there. Were these hanger brackets in all 65 GT cars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts