Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MCA judging book mentions nothing about date coding on certain parts such as the air cleaner, sheet metal, window glass, etc. Is this a critical element or is it assumed that only properly date coded parts would be installed?

G

·
0 Posts
In Concours, we are not supposed to check date codes, but if something is obviously out of whack, you might get a comment or a point deduction. In Thoroughbred, we check date codes on everything.... everything.

In my experience, if you make your car better than the rules(making sure you have correct date parts) then you will have no trouble getting Gold awards. This is a choice you have to make though, but for me, I want to be confident when I hit the showfield and not have to sit there and worry about getting a Gold.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Agree with Charles... as I will not go looking for date codes but if I notice one (and know I've looked at the other cars in the class) I will deduct - same goes for casting numbers. Wrong part is a wrong part ;)

And yes always build the car a well as you can. This will help in two ways in my experiance and this is the same advise that I give when owners pay me $$$ for consulting

1. The rules will only get tighter not looser

2. The extra effort shows and will directly or indirectly influence a judge often

3. The car will appear more "complete" and a better car if you put the car together paying attention to all the little details when it comes time to sell

Also remember there are other shows you may choose to attend and those often (rules and level of ability varies alot out there) check all kinds of things.

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts