Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
You think a company with a reputation like that of AdPerformance would recommend someone you couldn't trust to do good work? :loco: :notamused: :soda: :lol:

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Ah! That's starting to ring bells.
I think Ed mentioned him to me some time ago.

Why not just go to DG Machine?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
IIRC I thought he used to build NASCAR engines? But you might ask when you talk with him.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend used DG machine and highly recommended him as well. When I spoke to Brian this evening about my order, I asked him who he would recommend locally for me and he mentioned Dave. Considering I've spent some dough doing it once already on the first rebuilt, I'd really like to have it done correctly for a change and am just a little more cautious now. Brian also stated that he was somewhat slow. I wouldn't have a problem with being slow considering how freakin slow I blowing this fastback out the garage door. I'd like to drive soon is all.

Per Brian, all I need to have machine is honing of the block. All other machining is done by Dart. It is how AD orders their block these days.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally met the man so to speak. 1 month from now, I'll have the new engine rebuilt. His cost does not seems too bad 1400 for him to rebuild the engine, one and bore out what he needs.

Experience:
38 years of building engines, a few of them for circle track but mainly drag racing. His personal best on a stock 302 block was 9 with no blower or gas and iron heads.

I felt very comfortable after meeting him. I have to go down once more to deliver the extra parts I have for the build and possibly help in rebuilding it with him if my schedule permits.

·
Registered
963 Posts
copasspupil said:
Engine/machine shop out of spanaway. ADperformance recommended him to do the honing.
Hey Danno,

Whats up with the Honing? Your bores out of round? Tapered? Or just too small?

I could lone you a adjustable hone and some stones?

Jonesy

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, there is more to the alleged rebuilt engine that DJ or Dick Jacobs did. There's more to the story as I become more educated in engine building, but to make a long story short. I paid for something and got nothing in return. It looks like he reused parts, bolts and whatever he could.

I can't hone it because Dave didn't think the block was ever bored out in the first place. The ridge that the cylinders have on them now should have occurred at many more miles on them rather than 73. I brought him down 2 block to choose from after they come back cleaned we'll know which one to use.

He quoted me 1200 for machining and 200 for rebuilding it...no brainer to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
bbenthin said:
Ah! That's starting to ring bells.
I think Ed mentioned him to me some time ago.

Why not just go to DG Machine?

Funny you mention it... Dale (DG) used to work for Dave. Dave's who taught him how to balance.

Dave's about as good as it gets in the PNW for Ford's, bar none. Problem is he's retired now and is very slow.

Brian
ADP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts