Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 302 wont start. the starter works along with all of the electrical, but I don't see or smell any fuel in the carburetor. I have no idea which part of the fuel system it is, if that is even the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Remove the hose at the carb and put it into a catch bucket. Turn the engine over to see if the pump is pumping.
Reasons for no fuel feed:
1. Rust in tank clogged sender - in tank. PITA
2. Clogged fuel filter. (check for rust)
3. Bad fuel pump.

If fuel is pumping:
1. Needle valve in carb stuck. Remove carb top and unstick valve. At this point, I just rebuild the carb. Cheap insurance.
2. Carb all gummed up. See 1.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Had the same problem. Does the engine fire up for a second if you pour gas down the carborater? If it does, than change your fuel filter. You can pick them up at Autozone cheap. Get a few, you'll want to change it after awhile, as if your first one got gunked up, there is probably more gunk in the tank waiting to get pumped up.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
How long has it been since it last started? What have you tried since then?
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It been a solid year since the car has started. I do remember disconnecting the line from the fuel pump to the carb and no fuel came out of the line. As of a year ago that is all that I have tried. I will respond when I have tried to pour a little gas down the carb.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If nothing is coming out of the line from between the pump and carb then it sounds like you either have a blockage (sock in tank, fuel line) or your fuel pump has gone bad.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
After sitting that long it could take a fair amount of cranking just to get the gas up to the carb. If everything else is OK, pouring an once or two of gas in the carb and starting it may be enough to get the fuel up to the carb and keep it running.

The test results of pouring gas in the carb will go a long way in the diagnosis.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. So i bought a fuel pump, but when I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb the engine started right up. Then the fuel filter started leaking, so I replaced that. Now it will run, but it dies out. The butterfly valve on the carb does not open or close when the accelerator is stepped on. I think the carb is getting flooded with gas and there is a piece missing on the choke or something. Here are some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fordphil68/IMG_4114.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fordphil68/IMG_4117.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fordphil68/IMG_4115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fordphil68/IMG_4116.jpg

·
Registered
430 Posts
The choke looks like it is about right for a cold start. Are you only using starter fluid? Do as others have recommended and pour an ounce or two of gas down the carburetor and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only used the starting fluid the first time. It would turn over when I pumped the gas. I tried adding a little fuel to the carb, and I got the same result. The engine will idle for about 5 seconds, it will rev when the accelerator is applied but it will start to labor when I take my foot off of the gas, then the engine dies.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Since it will run for at least a short time, it's a fuel delivery problem.

If the fuel filter started leaking, sounds like you may be getting gas to the carb. I would still pull the fuel line off the carb and pump it into a small container to make sure the fuel pump is pumping properly. Pull the coil wire and crank the engine. If you do not get a steady stream of fuel, you need to look at the fuel pump next. If you get a steady stream, I would suggest rebuilding the carb.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts