Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a battery that was taken out of my car five years ago. It was a good battery when it was removed. It’s been sitting in my garage, dry, ever since. Is it worth keeping, can it be recharged?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Charge it and try it out. Don't hope for a miracle though...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
How old was it when removed from the car?

My bet is it's dead. However, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Dave

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Batteries die because the plates (lead) disintegrate over time in the battery acid. They are sacrificial plate by design. If the battery has sat without any water (acid) in it then there is a good possibility that it will work once fresh acid is added and the battery is charged. If it sat with the acid in it all this time then you have a core. Even if it does charge, it will most likely fail shortly. Since this is a 'stranding' item, I would play it on the safe side and get a new one.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Batteries die because the plates (lead) disintegrate over time in the battery acid. They are sacrificial plate by design. If the battery has sat without any water (acid) in it then there is a good possibility that it will work once fresh acid is added and the battery is charged. If it sat with the acid in it all this time then you have a core. Even if it does charge, it will most likely fail shortly. Since this is a 'stranding' item, I would play it on the safe side and get a new one.
What he said. Plus I add to that 50 years experience with old, collector, stand by cars. Take an average 5 year battery. In a car that's a daily driver year in and year out that 5 year battery will often last 7 or 8 years. When trickel charged occasionally in the off season then occasionally driven in good weather it may last 4 or 5 years. A brand new wet charged battery left sitting may be shot in 3 years.

This has been my real life experience with conventional lead acid batteries, not sealed, no maintenance or the cylindrical cell ones that look like a 6 pack.

Slim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts