Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it was only a matter of time i guess, but i've got a mouse problem in my trunk. i went to wash my car last week and grabbed my new sponge with the nice fuzzy cotton cover from the trunk of my car. only to find the fuzzy cotton was all gone!, damn mouse is sleeping comfy somewhere. i really dont see how the buggers got into the trunk at all. anyway any tips on keeping the mice away? i'd really rather not go to sit down in the front seat and find that the mice decided to chew that up for bedding as well. i guess i could set some traps but i just have a bad feeling i would forget to check them, and then ewwwww what's that smell. and i dont mean Lynyrd Skynyrd.

the car is stored in a garage out on my grandparent's small farm, they have cats but they must be getting slow in their old age, they only thing they are good for now is shedding all over my car cover /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
You can leave the mice a bowl of coca-cola (beer might work also.. don't know). They will drink it and the carbonation will make them want to burp... only problem is, mice can't burp (they kind of explode instead). Most likely, they will scurry off somewhere to do this.

good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
rodents and ants can be a huge problem with stored cars.

while watching a rat explode from the inside might be fun for the old cat to watch, the best ways are the old ways, traps and poison. I'de go with a 2 prong approach, the garage and the car.

The brake the neck traps work the best. Bait it with peanut butter so even when it dries it will still tempting to a mouse. Those green pellets work pretty good and so does a nice saucer of anti-freeze. With the cats benig around you better stick to the roach motel style of traps for inside the garage.

G

·
0 Posts
I stay away from the poison type baits. The rodents die and then a predator eats them, like hawks and the such, and the poison is passed on. Ranchers in the old west put out poison traps for the wolves and coyotes, problem was that other animals ate the poison bait also.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have a buddy that stores his chebby nomad, (yeah, I know), and places some De-con in his car. That keeps the car clean. He has cats but isn't too worried about poison being passed up the food chain. That is probably how I will protect my interior when it gets to that point. If you don't want to be concerned about other animals, the mouse trap is good. Fumigation gets everything, hehe. We have some nasty stuff that will kill humans if not used properly..... Just getting fanciful, sorry.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Seems simple...lock one of the cats in the trunk..oh wait, that could leave an even bigger dead body /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Nevermind...nothin beats a good ol' trap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
One of my cars I was taken out after 8 months of storage, had a big pile of WALNUTS, stuffing and crap everywhere on the top on the engines intake. I would use the DECON for mice control because its supposed to kill and dry out the mice so they do not stink as bad. If you cant find them that is. I used to set a snap trap in the trunk of my stored high school car and check it every day before going into the house. Within 3 months I had 13 of them little buggers. After that I went with Decon...seems to be working.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I've read about leaving moth balls in the trunk and also under the hood. Mice like to eat the insulation off of wiring!!!!! YOu might check the drain holes in the trunk drop offs. They are large enough for a mouse to get in. Also, there are holes under the rockers, up front, plus maybe getting in through the air vents in the kick panel, crawling down the cowl vent, maybe some plugs missing from the seat mounting bolts, or other plugs missing from the body. Could get in through the steering column opening in the firewall if that seal is bad.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
there are chemical traps that only attract mice, when they eat it they get very thirsty, seek water. When they drink the water the poison is activated and they die. No secondary poisoning either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts