Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
My daughters 66 coupe has a slight hesitation when pulling away from a complete stop, after that its fine. The car has a two-barreled 289 and pertronics ignition. Any ideas for fixing it.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Tune that carb!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the carb and put a kit in it which helped the cars performance but I don't know much about adjustments, any suggestions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Make sure your throttle isn't set too opened at idle. If you use the throttle stop to adjust the idle you can position the the throttle valve past the transition point & not get the enrichment as you come off idle.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Assuming the carb overhaul left all the passages inside it clean and clear, suggest you check the following:

-- check for any vacuum leaks

-- timing (use a light, not by "ear")

-- vacuum advance diaphragm

-- accelerator pump shot

-- float level

Kind of in that order, since you no doubt replaced the accelerator pump on the carb overhaul....

It's usually something pretty simple that doesn't require teardown of components (as you discovered with the carb overhaul). Was it doing it before the carb work? Did it come on all of a sudden, or over a period of time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I re-did my 2bbl carb and had the exact problem. Took the carb apart again and found I had installed the accelerator pump on backwards.

Good luck to You.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts