Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 73 Mustang convertible. Popped the hood and found a 460 in it. Guy told me that when it was bought, the dealer installed a 460 and they took out the 351. Does that sound about right? counted the valve cover bolts, 7 bolts, but does the dealer installed portion sound about right?

first post, hope to be around for a while!

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Not saying its impossible, but Id need to see paperwork to put any faith behind that statement. Too many of these stories are just that.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
The 429 and 460 are the same engine externally and the 429 was available as a factory option in the '71 Mustang so the parts needed for the installation in a '73 are readily available.
I don't understand why it's important to you whether the swap was done at a dealership or underneath a large tree. Either way it's non-factory and to a purist it lessens the value of the car, not that '73 Mustangs are currently extremely valuable.
If it was done at a dealership you would need to have the receipt/invoice/work order to prove it. It certainly won't be on the Marti Report.

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
In 1973 I thought about ordering a 73 mustang with a 460. I was told I could not order it but the dealer could install it. I could order it with a 302 or buy one on the lot and they would order a 460 install it. I never did. Also even if I had the paper work would have been thrown away and there probably not be a Marti Report on a dealer installed conversion. Not everyone kept paper work on these cheap throwaway mustangs back then. And for the last my grandmother was going to buy the mustang for me. she wanted to buy me a new car.

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
But Marti Report wouldn't show me the engine swap after, would it? I get it would show the factory motor, but would it show if it was done as a service after purchase?
Marti report would not show dealer conversions only what engine came in it when it left the Ford factory.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
367 Posts
You guys are tough lol. I would agree though it might be worth a bit more if it was installed by a dealer when it was new and you have documentation.

Chris

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Large letters to paint on the side : B S

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
Question 1: Why?

The 1973 351 was rated at 177 2 barrel BHP or 266 bhp as a 351 CJ. The bare bones 460 was rated at 210 BHP in 1973. The 460 was bit a screaming engine, but a big boat sedan / truck drag around a couple tons of metal, slow acceleration but will haul a lot of American Overweight Obese iron around on the interstate.

So, if it was a 351 2V, yes, improvement a big, but a TON of parts, as the 429 was not offered that year (radiators, mounts, wiring, etc.) was opposed to a 1971 where a 429 could be restroked to a 460, easy peasy.

If more POW was needed, just order a 351 CJ and be done with it.

This is not counting the issue of selling a vehicle that would not pass smog (not certified for that model / engine) plus warranty. Now, if it was a "used" car, brought back to the dealership, could it be done? Yes, but why? A boat anchor engine at great cost (parts and labor from a dealership) and the risk of what happens when it goes wrong.

Now, push the clock down the road. It is 1982. Car has a 351 and Buford blows up the engine. Leo has a wrecked 1971, with a 429, and Horace has a dead dog ugly 1974 Thunderbird with nothing working anymore except the engine.

Bingo, a MUTTstang is born.

I would scour the engine, looking for casing numbers on the heads, intake, etc. Anything not "matched" to 1973 really lowers the credibility of the story. If the heads, intake, etc. are all "matched" to 1975 not good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im asking because it may have been a popular thing at the time, the saying of there's no replacement for displacement. If not, that's fine. I know the 460 in it now really gets up and moves pretty easy, regardless of what speed it's already going. I have no plans of racing, but i shift kit would probably improve things quite a bit.

Either way, I'm happy with it and happy what i paid for it. Not cherry, but definitely a good ride

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Im asking because it may have been a popular thing at the time, the saying of there's no replacement for displacement. If not, that's fine. I know the 460 in it now really gets up and moves pretty easy, regardless of what speed it's already going. I have no plans of racing, but i shift kit would probably improve things quite a bit.

Either way, I'm happy with it and happy what i paid for it. Not cherry, but definitely a good ride
Like I already posted above I inquired about ordereing a 1973 mustang with a 460. I was driving a 66 289 used mustang. My grandmother wanted to buy me a new car. I liked mustangs. It was during the 73 model year. I was told a 351 was the largest engine the factory would put in BUT the Ford dealer would install a 460 for me. Yes it would cost money but my granny had lots of money and she wanted to buy me a new cadilac. She was a GM person. If the 460 in your mustang has 1972-73 casting numbers then I dont doubt its genuine. The transmission would have had to be changed since a 302-351 uses a different bell housing pattern. The dealer would have ordered and installed the motor mount brackets, radiator, etc that the 1971 429 mustang used. I had 3 - 351C 4V engines in mustangs. 2 - 351C 4V were closed chamber engines and the other was an open chamber engine. The closed chambers made way more power in stock form. I also had a 1966 full size Ford station wagon I put a 429 in and then a 460. The 460 made a lot more power and thats the reason all out racers stroke a 429-460 way out. Here is a foto of my 66 wagon when it had the 460 and an engine foto of the 1973 351C 4V in my 66 mustang.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll bet that Cleveland rocked in that 66 mustang even if it was a 73.

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
I'll bet that Cleveland rocked in that 66 mustang even if it was a 73.
The cleveland and toploader and quiet exhaust caused many camaro , sheeevelle, and mopar owners to think their engines were defective or had broken after I beat them especially since I looked like a geek. lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
While solid documentation would be needed to debunk a BS claim, the fact remains that one never says never when it comes to what Ford might have done back in the day. For example, back in '67 a guy wanted a 428, 4 speed, bucket seat, Country Squire wagon. He wrote to Ford and got a reply from Iacocca saying if he ordered it, they would build it. Documentation apparently confirms it.

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
While solid documentation would be needed to debunk a BS claim, the fact remains that one never says never when it comes to what Ford might have done back in the day. For example, back in '67 a guy wanted a 428, 4 speed, bucket seat, Country Squire wagon. He wrote to Ford and got a reply from Iacocca saying if he ordered it, they would build it. Documentation apparently confirms it.
when my dad ordered his 66 full size Ford wagon he was going to get it with a 427 4 speed. he decided on a 352 auto instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Little by little. To start, if i were to change the air filter assembly, what about these 2 vacuum hoses?
Screenshot_20200802-153601_Gallery.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts