Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide the Dealer Sales Code for CANOGA PARK MOTORS, 24520 Roscoe Ave, Canoga Park, CA? Looking for information pertaining to this dealership during the later part of 1965. The car in question is 6R08C125939. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
I too would love to know what the dealer sales four or five digit codes are also... This question has been asked before.. Maybe Kevin Marti can shed some light on this .. Someone somewhere has to have a list of what the dealer sales codes are for 1967-1970... All this data should be available.. It's just that we need a list published somewhere for all the dealers in all 50 states... Who has the list????? Kevin, Where are you?

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
Thought I read somewhere recently about someone looked into doing profiles on all the dealers back then and there was something like 6,000 of them??

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
There has to be a dealer list with all of the numbers somewhere... There probably is 6000 of them... All one should have to do is look up the dealer wher their car was sold, and next to it should be a 4 or 5 digit dealer number that corresponds with that dealer.. Find that dealer in the list, and you'll find the dealer code. Looks like we'll be waiting until this surfaces...

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to the people at the California Special Forum, the dealer sales code for CANOGA PARK MOTORS has been identified as 71C088 . Seems that a start on this would be the first two numbers indicate the sales district. Maybe others will check their warranty cars and add to this humble beginning of the sales codes.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
I'll check! You may be onto something Murf! Although I don't know what that "C" stands for...
That's a mystery... SOme codes I have found have a letter, some don't... but I think you are right about the first two numbers...Looks like the DSO. I will verify.

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Looks reasoanable as my Marti's call out

72E036, 72 = San Jose, dealer E036. West Valley Motor Sales, Santa Clara.

72A005, 72 = San Jose, dealer A005. Hughson Ford Sales, San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
52N207
Ron Stephens Ford
Edmonds OK

57C200
Hephill McCombs Ford
San Antonio, TX

71C038
Pasadena Motors Inc.
Pasadena, CA

72E031
Paul Swanson Ford
Los Gatos, CA

76A009
Courtesy Motors Inc.
Littleton, CO

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Yes! I double checked and have found (4) distinct variations that the dealers used in their dealer codes... Variation #1. For example, Let's say the DSO is 13- New York... A dealer code would look like "13CXXXX", I am not 100%, but I think the letter designates the month that the car was originally sold.. The "C" being March. It seems to pan out. The last three or four digits are the actual dealer's dealership code.. which for example we will say, "118", so in this instance, The dealer code would look like: "13C0118", or "13C118" -either would be correct. I have found four digit dealer codes going as far as 9000 series for an example like.. "13C9709" with "9709" being a specific dealer. Variation#2, A dealer code may skip the DSO numbers, and just be listed as "9709 C" with "C" being the month the car was sold and coming after the dealership code.. Keep in mind, this data was mostly used for warranty information, so all this info we are talking about here applies to the Original ownerscards that the cars came with and most ownercards have the dealer code stamped with DYMO tape on the bottom right of the card. I have found 80% of the ownercards had this but not all.. Variation#3 The other 20% had no code at all and just an empty space..so if it was missing altogether, It was also correct..which is definately good when you don't know the code. Variation#4 Some dealer codes used no letters and were just simply the actual four digit dealership code "XXXX" or using 9709 as an example "9709" would be listed as that specific dealership code. What does all this mean.... It means that dealers used at least (4) different variations that I could find using original FORD data that I had on hand. In the end, We still need a list of the three or four digit dealer codes used by Ford dealers from 1967 through 1970 (around this timeframe) to specify what dealer had what code.. I know someone has a book on this somewhere....and IT WILL SURFACE...It's just a matter of time, but We are one step closer to cracking this.. I'd like to hear from Kevin Marti, I'm sure Kevin has this list buried somewhere in his files... Kevin, We could sure use your help on this one.

So far I have only seen dealer codes listed on Original owner's manuals, Original invoices, Original Window stickers and of course Original ownercards. I have not seen them used anywhere else commonly, but I'm sure it happened here and there..

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is a list of DSO codes in the MPC I have from 70's. The first two digits define the district it was ordered from ( example: 41 / Chicago )Looks like possibly 80 districts ,including exports and Ford use. I still own my first new car,I ordered for myself in late '66 ( '67 Galaxie 428 /4 speed ) which I bought when I worked in Chicago ( district 41 ) The original door plate shows the 41 + 4 more digits which I believe is the special order number associated to that particular( mine) order. We also sold many taxis back then and they all had the same DSO (41) with the extra digits because they were all ordered from the same dealer/same options in large groups.( 40-50 at a time)If this information would help,please let me know and I will get a list of district ( DSO )numbers together.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps those who posted their Dealer Sales Codes will check and determine if the letter indicates the month the car was sold. We have only a few examples, but I thik many of us are interested in this. If those of you who posted Dealer Sales codes have the VIN I am sure we can get a good idea of the time of manufacture. This gets interesting. One of the posters on the HIPO EXCHANGE has a list of the california dealer codes and provided the code starting with a C so the date part may not hold water. Lets see what happens with that theory. Dig out your warrenty cards, Marti reports and whatever else you think will get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Just as a note with Cities, Transportation and Exports listed... The highest DSO numbers go up to is "99" - Just as a note. I'll see if I can't get a DSO list up here..

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Both of mine were Dec '67 Milpitas builds.

The 72E was ordered 12/12/67, built 12/20/67, and sold 12/22/67 (10 days, and just in time for Christmas....not bad!)

The 72A has no order date (Basic Off Standard Equipment), built 12/14/67 and sold 06/10/68. Guess no one really wanted that big block convertible! :loco:

So none of that aligns with the date code theory that A would be January and C March..??

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that it is correct to say that the letter has nothing to do with the "sold" date. Checked around a bit as well and could find no connection with the dates and the letter in the Dealer Sales Code. So far the meaning of that letter is unknown. Maybe with enough samples we can "crack" the meaning. Seems it may have been assigned by Ford Motor Company. An interesting note is that in some (many) instances that Dealer Sales Code Number did ot change when the dealership changed names. If the dealership remained in the same location and only had a name change it appears that the Dealer Sales Code remained constant. Each dealer appears to have had an assigned "parts code" as well, but that is another story.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
I don't know about that Murf, The more I look at the letters and the sold dates, The more I see that match up... I have some Warranty cards as proof.. The month of the sold date jives with the letter.. It's too much of a cooincidence, but still, This is a theory..

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,546 Posts
Another contribution to the growing data base:

November, 1966 San Jose build, sold by McCoy Ford, Anaheim, California #71E062

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here's a few more I have:

17E079
Rosser Massey Ford Inc.
Fredricksburg, VA

17H409
Clinton Motor Co. Inc.
Clinton, MO

A couple from Western Canada (DSO B6):

B60080
Metro Ford Sales Ltd.
Calgary, AB Canada

B60105
Hanson Garage Co. Ltd.
Cranbrook, BC Canada

I don't see a consistent connection between the Alpha after the Ordering District and the month of sale. For 1967 cars for example what letters are you assuming for Fall '66? My car from Ron Stephens Ford in Oklahoma was ordered and sold in November 1966. My GT Coupe from Paul Swanson in Los Gatos was ordered in March and sold in August 1967. (Both codes in my earlier post.)

There may be some chronological connection. For a DSO like Los Angeles they likely would have had over 1000 orders in certain months of the 1967 model year. So something would change after sale B999 in February or whatever.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Kevin Marti has the complete list. Its one of the differences between a Standard and Deluxe Report. On a standard report he gives you the code. On a deluxe he tells you who the dealer really was. I suppose we all know that by now, but I'm not sure if Ford would ley Kevin actually publish the list. I know I would buy a copy.

In my case, I am compiling a list of codes to see which dealers participated in the Limited Edition 600 Promotion. This is what I have:

16I208 Francis Fords, Harrisburg PA
16C028 Countryside Motors, Springfield PA
16A013 Koelle Greenwood, Philadelpia PA
16B008 Berglund Ford, Camden NJ
16J431 unknown

As you can see the first 2 digits are the DSO#, but the 3rd doesn't quite make sense yet.

G

·
0 Posts
I would guess that the letter designates the type of dealer. It doesn't make sense that it is a month code. I have 2 original dealer delivery invoices dated Jan '66 and they both have 'J' as part of the dealer number.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that we can rule out the alpha/month idea. Not sure what the alpha character signifies at this point. Has anyone noted that on the deluxe Marti reports there is a long line of numbers and letters (vehicle image) at the top of the report? If you examine those you will find that at the very end of this seemingly random grouping of letters and numbers there will be the dealer sales code listed. I am sure that all of the characters in that long line have some meaning, but we can now identify what the last few indicate. Just wanted to throw that into the mix.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts