Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
don't you just wish you could 'go back in time' and witness a few hundred or so of these being manufactured ??

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fred, at my age, there are a LOT of things I would do if it were possible to go back in time. ( There also are a few things I would not do.)

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
If anyone happens to know... I'm looking for mine as well. My car was sold on July 29th, 1966

My original owner's manual reads:

Cape Canaveral Motors Inc.
Eau Gallie (Melbourne), FL
Dealer code: ??????? (Please help me on this!)

My DSO is 24 which is Jacksonville, FL

So I guess my dealer code would be something like:

24Gxxxx ? - Just a guess...

I hope that Kevin or someone else is out there and can help me find the code on this one...

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You probably are correct on the 24, but the alpha character seems to be only a guess at this point.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That 99 character long line is what Kevin knows about your car. Its what the orginal car order boiled down too. believe it or not. Its what Kevin got from Ford. He found a way to translate it into something that is understandable. Everything you see in a report (excluding buck dates, sale dates & stats) comes from that line.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I went to look at my '68 Shelby door tag after I found the list of District codes ( DSO #)My DSO list starts at 11 . My DSO is shown here 8D26578 So,is my DSO # 8 ? and the special order # the 26578 ?Hmmmmmmmmmm more digging needed :shrug:

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Wow!- 10w30dna , Normally I would say that "yes" Ford usually put an order number there in place of the DSO.... but what it actually looks like is that "8D2657" is was the dealer that the car was destined for back in '68.. and the "8" on the end is your axle code! "8" as an axle code for 1968 translates as 3.50:1 axle ratio. Wow, That is interesting! Never seen this before!!!!! I think that it's one for the books!

To verify, Do you have the original warranty card, Owner's manual, Window sticker, or original invoice??

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
PS: I have to admit... The first "8" in the code has me stumped..

Tony Kovar

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, I agree,the last 8 is actually the axle code! Just happens to be in the same group of numbers.Now, what is that District code? I only have one '68 Shelby ,so I can not check any others.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I use to work at Foxworthy Ford in Indianapolis
from 1976 to 1985 and our dealer code was 46B001.
It was always that code while I was there, it didn't change.
When a salesman sold a car he would hand write
the owners name etc and fill in our dealer code
on the warranty card. When I worked as a service advisor
I would use this card, run it through a stamping machine,
to fill out a form 1863 for warranty repairs.

The DSO for Indianapolis was 34 in 60's and changed
to 46 in 1971/1972, some other cities may have
changed also around that time.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
10w30dna said:
I went to look at my '68 Shelby door tag after I found the list of District codes ( DSO #)My DSO list starts at 11 . My DSO is shown here 8D26578 So,is my DSO # 8 ? and the special order # the 26578 ?

Please remember that the DSO only indicates the order not always where it went. In your case this number indicated the order or group that the car was built under. Its really typical of a 68 Shelby ... nothing odd

Two other examples of the same thing on the same type of car

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
My ownercard says 72030, which omits the letter, but on a warrantee reminder card sent out almost a year after purchase, the dealer code reads 72E030 (also on my Marti report). This is for San Jose Ford Sales, and interestingly, is one number off from Swanson Ford in Los Gatos and 6 away from West Valley Motor Sales, Santa Clara. My car was first sold 9/18/67, so the letter appears to not relate to the month of sale.

Jeff Tepper informed me that San Jose Ford Sales moved and became Capitol Ford, then Friendly Ford, and now apparently, Captiol Expressway Ford. Coincidentally, this is the dealer where I purchased my SHO. I'll try to dig out the paperwork for this car to see if a dealer code is referenced anywhere and if it's the same.

Hope this helps.

Frank

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I just clicked on the link in the other post on this topic. Bill G. on the K code forum posted that his '65 came from the same dealership as my '67 (San Jose Ford Sales). The dealership was at a different address. It was at 375 S. Market St in 1965 and 2111 N. 1st St. in 1967. Same dealer code.

Frank

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have my original ownercard, although I think something is missing.It has a metal band with an identical stamping onf the warranty plate. below that is an area for something else, a strip is marked off the lenght of the card, and there is old dried glue betweeen the lines. There was obviously something there, but it is long gone. Another note, My dso is 16[philadelphia], build date june1 1966, but soon after philly dso changed, to 23 I think. I have the original owner manuel too, but the front cover is missing the outer half, The maintenance records in the rear indicate the car was sercviced at town and country ford, salem nj......only up to 12,000 miles, then the rest are blank......

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,546 Posts
Frank:

IIRC when San Jose Ford moved from N 1st Street to Stevens Creek Blvd, in the mid 1970's it became Frontier Ford.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
JeffTepper said:
Frank:

IIRC when San Jose Ford moved from N 1st Street to Stevens Creek Blvd, in the mid 1970's it became Frontier Ford.
I stand corrected. That IS what you told me before. I don't know why I was thinking Capitol Ford.

As Emily Litella would say, "never mind".

Frank

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know if Canadian dealer code format helps to explain the U.S. dealer codes.
Our dealer codes are five digits and have had the same format back to the '60's at least.
Our Dealer Code is "A1096" which breaks down as follows:

"A" - Franchise - "A" reflects Lincoln franchise with Ford or Mercury (pre 2000) or both
"B" is Ford
(all Ford of Canada dealer codes start with "A" or "B")

"1" - Region - 1 indicates Central Region - generally Toronto area and Eastern Ontario.
(can be 1 to 8 - eight different regions across Canada)

"096" - Dealer Identifier - no specific reason for exact number

Sometimes there is a "C" added before the Code to indicate Ford of Canada
Some systems add a "0" before the Dealer Identifier to fit different system structures

Over the years, the Ford of Canada has fluctuated between 500 and 700 active dealers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Here's the dealer codes from the 3 deluxe reports I have.

My father's 73 Grande we're trying to find out what happened too,
15A110 Kost Ford Inc, 30 Highwood Ave, Tenafly, NJ 07670

My 68 coupe in my sig,
71D095 Theodore Robbins Ford, 2060 Harbor, Costa Mesa, CA 92627

My 68 coupe parts car,
13H425 Academy Ford Inc, 849 South Main St, Cheshire, CT 06410

21 - 40 of 54 Posts