Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
mstang said:
I don't know if Canadian dealer code format helps to explain the U.S. dealer codes.
Our dealer codes are five digits and have had the same format back to the '60's at least.
Our Dealer Code is "A1096" which breaks down as follows:

"A" - Franchise - "A" reflects Lincoln franchise with Ford or Mercury (pre 2000) or both
"B" is Ford
(all Ford of Canada dealer codes start with "A" or "B")

"1" - Region - 1 indicates Central Region - generally Toronto area and Eastern Ontario.
(can be 1 to 8 - eight different regions across Canada)

"096" - Dealer Identifier - no specific reason for exact number

Sometimes there is a "C" added before the Code to indicate Ford of Canada
Some systems add a "0" before the Dealer Identifier to fit different system structures

Over the years, the Ford of Canada has fluctuated between 500 and 700 active dealers.

Steve see my earlier post. The Western Canada dealers somewhat followed the U.S. format for dealer code with the DSO followed by a four digit numeric (vs one letter alpha, three digit numeric).

masergt said:
A couple from Western Canada (DSO B6):

B60080
Metro Ford Sales Ltd.
Calgary, AB Canada

B60105
Hanson Garage Co. Ltd.
Cranbrook, BC Canada

·
Registered
104 Posts
masergt said:
Steve see my earlier post. The Western Canada dealers somewhat followed the U.S. format for dealer code with the DSO followed by a four digit numeric (vs one letter alpha, three digit numeric).

masergt said:
A couple from Western Canada (DSO B6):

B60080
Metro Ford Sales Ltd.
Calgary, AB Canada

B60105
Hanson Garage Co. Ltd.
Cranbrook, BC Canada
The letter "B" in the dealer codes above indicates a Ford Division franchise without Lincoln (with Lincoln is "A"). This would be a different indicator for a U.S. dealer code since there has been letters indicated up to "H" in this thread. There would not be 8 different types of franchises.

The "6" indicates the region, and region 6 is currently Alberta. I am not sure when Pacific and Alberta Regions were split, but the current Cranbrook dealer Denham Ford at 1126 Cranbrook St. is B7251. "7" is the current Pacific Region.

Of the four following numbers only three have significance. The first "0" is only a place-holder for different Ford worldwide systems.

The DSO indicates the Ordering Dealer's Franchise ("B") then the Region ("6").

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
mstang said:
The "6" indicates the region, and region 6 is currently Alberta. I am not sure when Pacific and Alberta Regions were split, but the current Cranbrook dealer Denham Ford at 1126 Cranbrook St. is B7251. "7" is the current Pacific Region.
Having owned a few mustangs ordered in Western Canada, I'm pretty sure that from 65 -70, the Canada Pacific region included the dealers in the Vancouver lower mainland and coastal locales. Western Canada included the Eastern part of BC including Cranbrook. The 1965 and 1969 cars I owned (ordered in the Canada Pacific region) were Dearborn cars (although my old Mach I ordered in Vancouver had DSO 81 on its plate). My current 67 fastback ordered in Cranbrook (B6) is a San Jose car.

So based on your info at some point later Cranbrook switched to the Pacific region.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: Dealer Code Identification?

I'm trying to find out what the Dealer is for B6 009. I know it's Western Canada region for B6, but does anyone know who dealer 009 was or still is?

Thanks Randy
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Wow, There has been no movement on this thread for quite sometime..

I'm still looking for my dealer number as well:

My car was sold on July 29th, 1966.

My original owner's manual reads:

Cape Canaveral Motors Inc.
Eau Gallie (Melbourne), FL
Dealer code: ??????? (Please help me on this!)

My DSO is 24 which is Jacksonville, FL

I know Kevin Marti has my dealer code.. I should just e-mail him..

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
NEFaurora said:

Your dealer code would start with 24 (from the DSO)
but the rest is a good question.
Marti may be able to help...it's worth a shot!

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Yes, The DSO is 24... Hopefully Kevin won't want to charge me $60-$80 an hour like it says on his website for the answer. He supposedly a really nice guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, The DSO is 24... Hopefully Kevin won't want to charge me $60-$80 an hour like it says on his website for the answer. He supposedly a really nice guy.
Take my dealer code for example: 47E590

47 = District, or DSO (District Sales Office). This is from where the order was placed and most often, to where the car was delivered. A district could cover multiple states. 47 was the Cincinnati district, but my car was delivered to Kentucky, which is part of the Cincinnati district. Today, Ford calls them Regions.

E = Zone, this is a group of dealers in the same vicinity or “Zone” and has nothing to do with build date. A district could have many Zones. A Ford Zone Manager would call on the dealers in his zone.

590 = Dealer number specific to a dealer, in my case, Magee Motors Company.

I would encourage you to call Kevin; he is very nice and has a passion for this stuff.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Hmm..It's been two years....Maybe I should give him a call !!!!!!!!!!!lol!!!!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have a 66 out of Cape Canaveral Motors. It's build date is 4/21 and was in Cape Canaveral by 4/28 and sold. I have the original title and finance papers. I don't have any info on dealer code though. Sorry!

Body: 76A Convertible, Standard Interior
Color: V Emberglo Metallic
Trim: D4 Parchment Crinkle and Rosette Vinyl with Emberglo, Standard Interior
Date: 21D April 21, 1966
D.S.O: 24 Jacksonville
Axle: 6 2.80:1, Conventional
Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

·
Registered
6 Posts
52N207
Ron Stephens Ford
Edmonds OK

57C200
Hephill McCombs Ford
San Antonio, TX

71C038
Pasadena Motors Inc.
Pasadena, CA

72E031
Paul Swanson Ford
Los Gatos, CA

76A009
Courtesy Motors Inc.
Littleton, CO
The problem with this is that the districts changed over the years. For example, Denver, CO was District 51 from at least 1967 up until sometime during the '71 model year, at which point it changed to District 76. Making matters worse if that Marti often decodes the districts incorrectly on his reports to this day... Districts are year-specific, with most changes in the first-gen years taking place in '68 and then again in '71.

Comprehensive topic on Ford Districts 1967-1973 now published at the SRG:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, There has been no movement on this thread for quite sometime..
I'm still looking for my dealer number as well:
My car was sold on July 29th, 1966.

My original owner's manual reads:
Cape Canaveral Motors Inc.
Eau Gallie (Melbourne), FL
Dealer code: ??????? (Please help me on this!)

Cape Canaveral Motors, Inc.
US1 at Magnolia
Eau Galle, FL 32936

code: 24F498

Region 2 - Southeast
District 24 - Jacksonville Sales Office
This district was consistent from at least 1964 through 1973 (possibly other years)

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Yet another thread born again. The main question for most of us here would be: What does the danged letter after the DSO designation stand for in US dealer codes? Kevin Marti probably knows. My Marti Report shows my dealer as 25F218. My guess would be;
25- Richmond, VA District Sales Office (DSO)
F- a specific smaller zone within that district
218- Sanders Motor Company, Raleigh, NC
The reason I think the letter represents a zone within a district is that some districts had a very high concentration of dealers, way too many for three (Ford Sales, Ford Service, Ford Parts) district managers to handle by themselves. Imagine for instance the sheer number of dealerships in a big metro area like Chicago or Dallas or Los Angeles. For effective management Ford would break them up into A,B,C,E,F,G,H etc. zones within that district, each with their own management team. By the same token there were Districts that spread out covering hundreds of square miles (the Des Moines, Iowa DSO stretched as far as Edmond, OK for instance). In those cases a district may be broken into zones A,B,C due to the distances involved (i.e. management travel required). Anyway, that's my guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the middle letter in the dealer code was called the 'Zone' on a couple of documents we've found, and your understanding of its usage aligns with mine.

Pictures of those documents are in the SRG topic:

41 - 54 of 54 Posts