Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when you think you have a fiberglass part all ready to go on the car--surprise!

That's what happened with the hood for my fastback. We had the top and bottom nicely sanded, filled, and smoothed and the windsplit and louvers all done. But, when we laid it on the car next to the front fenders it was apparent that there had been a problem with the mold. Neither hood edge was straight and one side was particularly badly curved.

So, this is what we did:

http://tucsonpony.com/Troublehood2

We built up both edges with new fiberglass, sanded it smooth, and then cut it straight. The link has the rough edge, and next week I'll add a finished picture. One side is done and it looks gorgeous!

Yes, we're picky, but in the end it will be worth it! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've never received a fiberglass part that I would consider "right" out of the box. It's just the nature of fiberglass I think. Yes, the extra effort will be worth it.

Nice job on the louvers, those are a PITA.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
was it curvy up and down or curvy like side to side (closer and farther away from the fender)

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Laurie... since your putting so much work into it. You might consider building up the center seam too. Kind of a bummer to get it done and a month later have the center sag on you. They tend to wanna do that. Just food for thought.......

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true--and we've already put so much work into this hood it would be stupid not to finish the job so we're both happy with the result. I can't wait to lay paint on it!

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was curvy side to side in two areas (one on each side). One was so bad we think the person who prepped the hood made a mistake and "fixed" it by cutting the edge deeper. It was very apparent when the hood was placed against the fender edge. The other side wasn't as bad--and probably would have been acceptable for concours--but we're going for top craftmanship on this car. So, we decided, what the heck, let's fix that side, too. That's the one in the photo.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had a chance yet, but may try later this week. I may have to wait on the alarm system until I find a reliable place to install it that won't mess up the diesel computer codes.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we'll be okay there, we have built it up a little. Also, because the car is modified, we've completely filled and smoothed the underside of the hood so that should add some strength to it, too.

G

·
0 Posts
I feel your pain. I bought repro fiberglass rear seat side panels for my Mach and I never thought I would get them to fit properly. Cut a little here, sand a little there, oops put a little more back there but finally it all came together and looks as good or better than factory. These are just the slings and arrows of working with repro fiberglass.

G

·
0 Posts
I can relate. If you saw my rant the other day, you'll know. I bought the 67 shelby short hood for my car. I'm not a body man so I gave up in a couple of hours trying to get it to fit. The body people want hundreds to fool with the fenders to make it all "come together." I put it in the corner in the garage until I can get around to selling it to someone who knows bodywork. I don't have the patience!

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I laid my 68 short hood on my car with the fenders and I think its going to be perfect. Must be a better mold than the 67. Good luck with the rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts