Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure don't want to start a pizzing match, but I'm in a quandary over which engine to use in my 67 FB. To recap, the car needs a total restoration and so it will be years before it goes down the road under it's own power, but I need to start planning now. The car has a 302 in it now which is of course, incorrect, it also came with a 1965 289 block, heads, and crank on a pallet. I have from an old
Ford truck, a 390 engine and manual trans. So the question is, which of the above do I rebuild for the car, or none of the above? The car is vin'd as a C code. I'm not really concerned about being 100% correct. I don't plan to compete in shows, but plan to ride on weekends (sunny, I live in Michigan). I have one opinion that if I decide to sell, that big blocks always sell better. I don't plan to sell but one never knows the future.

I'm looking for some general opinions. Right now, the 302 is out because the 302 didn't come out until 1968. The 289 built as a HiPo would be a nice choice but I'll prolly have more invested then rebuilding the 390 since the 390 is already a complete engine.

I appreciate the opinions of those that have been there, done that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
The 390s were a good engine with a lot of torque. Unfortunately, the last FE engines were built a long time ago, so you will be dealing with old parts. All the great HiPo 427 parts have collector value, so you better get used to paying a fortune for parts that are mostly worn out. I think the most power for the buck these days is in a 351W. It will fit in your '67 fine and hardly anyone will notice that it's not a 289. A nicely built 351W stroker will blow the doors off of any 390 and weigh a bunch less. Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 390s were a good engine with a lot of torque. Unfortunately, the last FE engines were built a long time ago, so you will be dealing with old parts. All the great HiPo 427 parts have collector value, so you better get used to paying a fortune for parts that are mostly worn out. I think the most power for the buck these days is in a 351W. It will fit in your '67 fine and hardly anyone will notice that it's not a 289. A nicely built 351W stroker will blow the doors off of any 390 and weigh a bunch less. Just my two cents worth!
Thanks, those are the types of responses I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
As far as which has the most sex appeal, the FE. As far as which makes the most sense, the 289 OR the 302 (don't matter) with a budget 347 kit and some aluminum heads. Cheaper, and will lay waste to the 390.

·
7,015 Posts
I wouldn't turn up my nose at the 302. What year is it? If it's an '85 or later it has a roller cam and may well have factory forged pistons.

IHMO Ford never made a better smallblock than the mass air 5.0's (302's) with forged pistons. You could always put in a stroker kit to take it out to 327/331 or 342/347 (depending upon bore) if you want to make it a torque/power monster.

If starting from scratch, I'd agree with the previous poster that a stroked 351 (392 or 408 cid) would be the bee's knees....unless fuel economy is an issue. If it is....I'd be all over a 5.0/302.

Phil

Phil

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
While you're thinking about it, don't forget about the tranny. What did the car come with and what are you planning there?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A 390 is a tough motor with lots of cubes and doesn't suffer from the hideous stock windsor exhaust port.

It will add around 250 lbs. to the front end of the car. A larger front sway bar and stiffer front springs are a good trade IMO for 30-35% :horror: more displacement.

And no, the parts are not unobtainable (common myth right along with 351C stuff).

Spark plug changes will be a practice time for your best cursing.

When it's all said and done the 390 is a seriously strong motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While you're thinking about it, don't forget about the tranny. What did the car come with and what are you planning there?
Tranny is an automatic, I'll be pulling it and the engine in the next week or two. I'll find out exactly which tranny I have once it's pulled.

The 390 I have is at a friends house under is bench since
he pulled it out of the truck for me after the con-rod cap fell off and engine went kaput. He's a good friend and is welcome to the engine but if he has no plans for it, and it is worth the effort, I could make room for it in my shop so that it's there if I need it.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
There is no REPLACEMENT for DISPLACEMENT!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The 390 is a good engine with aftermarket heads and a bit of a cam. But I'd stay with the 302 because it is much lighter, spins up faster, will get better gas mileage and you can build it with some power. The 390 will be torquey, though. Kinda depends on what you want. As was said, there is not much that can compare with cubic inches... unless you supercharge or tubocharge.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Ok, so you currently have a small-block in the car, which means you have small-block tranny, tranny mounts, engine mounts, suspension, and accessory mounts.

On the other hand you have a truck 390 that has short block issues with a crappy heavy intake and exhaust manifolds that won't fit into a Mustang.

You would be way ahead putting a small block back into it. Maybe a 347 or a stroked 351W. Otherwise you will be trying to scrape up all the parts necessary to install an FE in a Mustang, which is not a trivial task.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts