Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and will be adding pictures of my cars as well as documents showing where all those decals go. I am a serious Mustang enthusiast going on 40+ years of building race engines & modifying suspensions. Got a question? I probably have the CORRECT answers to nearly anything you need to know about the early Mustangs. I should be completely updated by 7/19/09

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you need decal location info, email me at [email protected] and I'll reply back with all the Ford pages showing all the decal locations. Nice looking ride. The one I'm working on now is a 1967 that will have a 427SOHC
Don :wave:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm assuming you have info for '65 GT350s? It'd be cool to see your clone on your webpage, and detailed info on it.

I just got done putting on some coil decals on my Weber'd 363 stroker [have any Weber tuning tips?] which I've attempted to make fairly period correct [despite the fact most is new aftermarket], and the two '65 Shelby trunk-lid decals [which I've seen placed in no standard location or orientation]. I still have the engine bay to do, so I'm looking forward to checking out your webpage so I can add another source for info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to find the link to my decals on the all ford mustang forum. I'll check tonight and post it for all

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the correct decal placement for 65/66 289 air cleaners. Seems to be a puzzling topic for many. Hopefully you can provide the answers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Is that decal layout correct for all 65-66 289 C and A code engines? I ask because I have the rectangular Autolite sticker on the side of my 65 air cleaner and I'm wondering if that was correct or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMHO you are correct. I base this on that I have seen a number of low milage unrestored cars having the straight Autolite decal on the side of the air cleaner, and also Bob Mannel states this to be correct for 65-67.
64½ uses the curved version in location#1 (shown on the web site refered to earlier in thos post).

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Ivygreen, Both Autolite decals are correct for '65/'66, but the rectangular one is seen more on the 6cyl cars.. The V8's got the rectangular ones as well, but the "half moon" ones were definately used more on the V8's..

There are so many variations of placement and use of those two Autolite decals between plants that it's enough to make one's head spin.

About all that you can really narrow it down to is that the "half moon" decals were on the V8 lids for the most part (There were freak exceptions), and the "rectangular" ones were on the lids, and/or the sides of the aircleaner on both the 6cyl and V8's.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
NEFaurora said:
Ivygreen, Both Autolite decals are correct for '65/'66, but the rectangular one is seen more on the 6cyl cars.. The V8's got the rectangular ones as well, but the "half moon" ones were definately used more on the V8's..

There are so many variations of placement and use of those two Autolite decals between plants that it's enough to make one's head spin.

About all that you can really narrow it down to is that the "half moon" decals were on the V8 lids for the most part (There were freak exceptions), and the "rectangular" ones were on the lids, and/or the sides of the aircleaner on both the 6cyl and V8's.
I understand this. I was wanting to hear what the "correct" decal application was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
So, according to your decal page, the decal placement on my air cleaner (in my signature pic) is incorrect and the rectangular Autolite decal on the side is incorrect? I want to make sure mine is wrong before I make any changes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ivey your set up is correct for a v8 Dearborn 65.All 3 of mine(1 Aug 64,2 June 65) have the one on the side of the pot.All of the unrestored Dearborn V8's that I have seen are also like this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stacy,
I guess it depends on who you want to believe. According to Bob Mannel's book, I think your current set up is correct. I believe most of Mannel's observations are from unrestored cars. But like most of these topics it gets difficult to separate fact, reality and opinion.

Greg

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
mgmradio said:
Ivey your set up is correct for a v8 Dearborn 65.All 3 of mine(1 Aug 64,2 June 65) have the one on the side of the pot.All of the unrestored Dearborn V8's that I have seen are also like this.
Mike,

I know it's correct, because I based it on your convertible. Since the original poster stated that he could provide CORRECT location of all decals, I wanted to see what his version of correct was. I think he may be unaware of the breadth of knowledge that resides on this forum.

I didn't see the 65 air cleaner part number decal on any of his decal pages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe that the picture shown by "65GT350clone" is from an older restoration book. Where does the picture com from originally?
Is is something that is put together by the Mustang Monthly crew or does it come from a Ford publication?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The decal locations are from reproductions of Ford factory assembly booklets.
the link below shows both Autolite spark plug decals and there locations. See the note regarding the rectangular decal for location # 4 ("early type") http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/79973/ppuser/51810

I have to dig them out to post who and where they originated from. Sorry for any confusion. I also need to get to my garage and look at one of my stock early engines to see where the decals are on the air cleaner. :shrug:

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
"The decal locations are from reproductions of Ford factory assembly booklets."

No offense, Have to strongly disagree here. Those pages are from a restoration book of some sort. I'm sure that I have it in my library somewhere and will continue to look for it.

The pictures look like they are from a Donald Farr/Tom Cocoran book or an early Mustang Monthly "Special Issue", or possibly a Jim Osborn "Homemade" restoration manual. :thumbsup:

No way those are Ford Factory reprints.

Sorry to break the bad news.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts