Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago trying to decide whether to use an aftermarket kit or use Ford parts to do an EFI conversion on my 302. I have decided for my purposes and budget to use factory Ford parts.

Three questions before I pull the trigger:
1.) Does anyone have any experience with the RJM Injection Technologies ( FordFuelinjection.com) wire harness tailored to the Mustang swap? If not I think I'm willing to give it a try, website is full of knowledge and I'm ok with spending a little more on the wiring to have it done right ($525)

2.) I'm located VERY close to a Fox body Mustang shop, Dayton 5.0. The owner has a TON of stock takeoffs from people doing upgrades and leaving behind the stock parts. He is offering me a "conversion kit" of everything I need. How much should I be looking at, ballpark figure on cost?

3.) I going to give this a go with my non-HO style cam (like Mustang's Plus did). I'm prepared to swap in a 351 style cam to get the correct firing order if need be, but want to check it out first. Anyone attempted this? From Ford Fuel Injection.com they claim this is better than rearranging injectors and only presents a slight problem at idle, which completely goes away at any speed above idle. I will be a test to check this out and report my experiences.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just finished up a ford efi conversion on my 69 coupe. I think you will be satisifed with the results. In my research, it seemed that the wiring harness alternatives (in order of cost) were: Re-use a 5.0 harness, Ford racing generic harness, RJM, Painless performance, and Ron Morris. I think you can get the ford racing harness for around $250 from summit. That is a pretty good plan, as all the connections are right, and the quality is good. You will still have a bit of work to do to connect to your Mustang power switch. The only downside to it is some of the wire lengths are longer than you need.

I chose to re-use the harness from the 89 donor car that I had. It works, but I would only suggest it if your have good electrical skills. There are a lot of connections and wires for "the rest of the car" that I did not need. I took the harness completely apart, traced out all the wires, and cut out the stuff that I would not need. After testing it out, I am now re-wrapping all the wires and dressing them up. Everything is cut to fit this way, but it is a lot of work. I learned a lot about how things work, which was part of my goal.

As far as the cam and wiring order, I would not sweat that. According to others, it will work with the wrong order. If you find that you want a smoother idle, you could either replace the cam, or switch the injector wiring around to match the cam you have.

I can't help too much on the price of the parts, but I would suggest some research on ebay. The stock manifold should be free. The computers look like they go for $150 to $200. On my car I paid $1800 for a 5.0 and T5 with 75k miles out of a wrecked 89. It included the computer, all the wiring harnesses, all the sensors and stuff. I spent anothe $500 for the fuel pump and lines kit from Ron Morris, and bought the Modern driveline transmission crossmember. It adds up faast, but I think it will be worth it in driveability and resale value.

Best,

Brian

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi Brian,
We also ordered the Ron Morris fuel line kit. You might want to do some checking on the plastic line kit. We contacted the fuel line maker and was advised it was not intended for use with fuel and the temp seen in vehicles.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I am currently in the process of installing this kit. http://www.mass-floefi.com//index.html Most of it is OE, it does use a GM style mass flow sensor instaed of thr Ford sensor. The installed kit looks closer to a carbureted system than most others. There is indeed a huge price difference between the two but I wanted to retain the look.

So far it is going well, I am very pleased with the quality of the parts and the detail of the instructions. I posted a few photos on my CarDomaine page if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The wiring kit from Ford Fuel Injection looks nice, the only problem I see is there is no connector to the engine feeds(injectors, temp senders etc) this means if you have to remove the motor at some point you will have to remove the upper intake and unplug the loom from the engine(the factory loom has two connectors at the back of the engine for this reason.
Like BJR I used the stock loom out of the 1989 donor car and modified it to fit. (not an easy job for the DYI). Unlike BJR we passed on the plastic fuel line kit and bent metal fuel lines. This is a great mod for early cars and they run so great.
I am not sure about the info you have been getting on cam and firing order. What type of computer do you plan on using. Ford used two styles of fuel injection firing. One system drives each injector for the firing order called SEFI(1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)Mustang HO the other drives 4 injectors at a time called MPI(1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8)Ford trucks. So if you have a SEFI computer with MPI cam, it will drive #3 injector when #5 cylinder fires. I don't really see that it will work correctly.
Good luck, Phil

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I am going to try to keep my conversion as close to stock as possible. I plan to use a Edelbrock 29285 Super Victor EFI intake along with a elbow. I have a 70mm throttle body and 75mm Mass Air meter... I am making my own custom air intake setup. I plan to ceramic coat the pipe. I want the install to be very neat so it is going to take some time and planning.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just placed the order for the RJM harness. Will post back once I receive it. Going to hopefully strike a deal tonight at Dayton 5.0 for some good stock take-off parts. Slowly building up and stockpiling all the parts needed for this conversion. :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A 351W cam ought to do the trick entirely. Considering the 5.0 firing order IS the 351W firing order, I don't see why a 351W performance cam would give any more idle issues than a 5.0 performance cam. Fishy!
HTH
--kyle
PS: Are you SURE the non-HO 5.0 cam uses the 302 firing order? I checked for that on mine, just out of curiosity, and it sure didn't seem like it, but I could be wrong. Oops...if that's not what you meant, nevermind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Im also going to be doing this conversion pretty soon. I have an 89 5.0 HO and T-5 to swap in along with all the wiring and accessories.
A few questions for those guys who have done the swap that may help those of us preparing for it:
1) How did you rig the return fuel line? I am adding a P/S torque box to my 67 and thought about drilling a hole in it and running the return line as a mirror to the supply line basically.
2) Are you all using steel lines? I need to inspect my donor car, but I thought they used nylon lines? Seems like it would be much easier to route. Any downsides to this?
3) Did removing any of the systems from the wiring loom cause havoc with the ECU? Did you have to wire in any resistors to fool it?

Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mustangfactory -
I am not sure about the info you have been getting on cam and firing order. What type of computer do you plan on using. Ford used two styles of fuel injection firing. One system drives each injector for the firing order called SEFI(1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)Mustang HO the other drives 4 injectors at a time called MPI(1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8)Ford trucks. So if you have a SEFI computer with MPI cam, it will drive #3 injector when #5 cylinder fires. I don't really see that it will work correctly.
Good luck, Phil
Mustang's Plus attempted an EFI conversion on a stock 289 (old style firing order and reportedly only experienced a slight problem at idle and smooth at any rpm above idle. Here is a link to their tech articles on the conversion if you have not seen it. Project EFI GT (Mustang's Plus)
Also, the information I referenced about the negative effects of changing injector firing order (not spark) from FordFuelInjection is Injector Firing Order (Ford Fuel Injection)

First I plan on "trying" my setup with my old style firing order cam, if that is a no-go or I'm not thourghly satisfied with the idle characteristics or whatever then I plan to change to a 351w cam (same as the 5.0 firing order)

nostangyet -
A 351W cam ought to do the trick entirely. Considering the 5.0 firing order IS the 351W firing order, I don't see why a 351W performance cam would give any more idle issues than a 5.0 performance cam. Fishy!
HTH
--kyle
PS: Are you SURE the non-HO 5.0 cam uses the 302 firing order? I checked for that on mine, just out of curiosity, and it sure didn't seem like it, but I could be wrong. Oops...if that's not what you meant, nevermind.
You are correct. I definitly have the old style firing order currently. And yes I plan to do exactly what you suggested, use a 351w cam to attain the correct firing order, but only if need be. I will post back so others know if it is a neccesity.

andrew3-
Yes, I would be interested in hearing a response to those questions too. I have not decided 100% how I want to route my fuel lines or what pump to use. I will use a sender with a return like welded in but beyond that I have no definite plans for the rest of the system.

Thanks for the repsonses and help so far, I will keep all updated on progress or when questions/problems arise :highfive:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got everything I need tonight (I think!). Bought a "kit" from Dayton 5.0 of stock take-off parts tonight. Waiting on the harness to arrive now and I will do a "trial" mockup on the basement floor first to see what I forgot. Hope to do the actual conversion the last week of March... Getting down to the details now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts