Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now ready to start restoring our Mustang. We are going to put it in our garage this weekend.
I know the Cowls are gone and floor is rusted through.

A few Questions:

1-My son wants to totally disassemble the entire car and start from the bottom up - Is that advisable??
2-How do I know if the leaking battery (previous owner) damages the frame or beams?????? If they are damaged what do we do then???
3-Who should we buy parts from? We have a 97 Texas Mustang Parts Catalog…
4-Finally, please share the best advice you have or received about starting to restore.
!-You all already saved me over $3K by letting me know it was too much to have the brakes replaced!

·
Registered
201 Posts
start by taking alot of pictures of everything and write down notes on things you see. Then when you dissamble, put screws in ziplock bags with a piece of paper stating where they came from. take pictures as your taking it apart, so that you will remember how things went back on, and later on you will like to see just how far you have come with all the work. This will be very time consuming, but a necessary thing to a good restoration (makes things easier for reassembly)

As for where to by parts, there are alot of venders out there, some are high priced, some sell junk. over time we can recommed venders for different parts you might be wanting.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
...disassemble the entire car and start from the bottom up - Is that advisable?
That all depends on what the car will be used for and just how bad off it is in its present state. If it's in decent driving condition, and you want to continue enjoying it, you can always opt for a "rolling" restoration. I've driven around without front fenders or a hood many times! ;)

But if it's unsafe (ie: framerails rusted through, etc.), you may not have a choice but to fix things first.

If it's going to be a show car, disassembly is just about the only way to go. Just know that total disassembly, restoration, and reassembly is a very time-consuming project. Don't do it on a whim... That's why you see so many "disassemled; lost interest" for sale ads out there! :p

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Welcome and good luck. One of the best sources for info is right here. I have found that the ladies and gentlemen of this forum can answer any question quickly and correctly. Nothing is too small or too big to handle, provided both time and money. Many on this site like www.npdlink.com I personally use NPD, but there are many other good parts houses. Go to the web site and request a catalog. To view a restoration in progress, see this site at KAR Mustang http://www.karmustang.com/restore1.htm You could also hunt around this site for hours http://links.vintage-mustang.com/index.html

Vintage Mustangs have a huge following, really an entire industry around helping you spend your money.
Most of all, good luck, have fun and keep us posted.

jim

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just remember taking it apart is the easy part - putting it back together (that's the phase I'm in) is the hard part. I never expected to take as much stuff off as I did when I started - but one thing inevitably leads to another. Next thing you know you've torn out the carpet, removed the entire dash / guages / ignition and pulled evey piece of chrome off the car.

I agree wholeheartedly with what was already said - take lots of pictures and label ziplock bags with the screws/etc. they're in. If you truly do a massive disassembly you might consider a kit like the one offered at AMK Products like this. . I've only used a few of them - but they were EXTREMELY helpful. Each bag pertains to a specific part - and working with new screws/bolts/fasteners is much nicer than old, rusted stuff.

Matt at Ponderosa Mustang is great to work with and his prices were great. I've also ordered from NPD and been happy. You should go to NPD's website and request a new Catalog...you can use it to order from many people and compare prices.

My best advice - I'll hold off on that until I'm done ;)

Good luck,

Derek

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
We are now ready to start restoring our Mustang. We are going to put it in our garage this weekend.
I know the Cowls are gone and floor is rusted through.

A few Questions:

1-My son wants to totally disassemble the entire car and start from the bottom up - Is that advisable??
2-How do I know if the leaking battery (previous owner) damages the frame or beams?????? If they are damaged what do we do then???
3-Who should we buy parts from? We have a 97 Texas Mustang Parts Catalog…
4-Finally, please share the best advice you have or received about starting to restore.
!-You all already saved me over $3K by letting me know it was too much to have the brakes replaced!
1. A good pattern is to a) pull motor/drivetrain and store; b) disassemble the rest of the interior, mark everything/put in ziplocs; c) decide what youa re going to do with the bodywork/get to body shop; d) get motor rebuilt while body is being repaired; e) marry up drivetrain and body when body returns.

Be sure you mark every ziploc and take lots of pictures, b/c those bags will sit for a LONG time and youll forget what everything is/where it goes.

lastly, ask LOTS of questions here! ::

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
it doesnt hurt to take pitures, before you remove the part. if you have a camara, that downloades, on your computor, all the better. hope this helps, and welcome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
definitely nice to see a new member and a father/son project. I was at your point only about a week ago. my best advice to you is sit down with your son and ask him and ask yourself how much do you want to ultimately spend and what will be the function of the car. Then i'd go and get tools.. if you don't have those yet, and a shop manual. Before the shop manual i had no idea where anything went and now i have a much better idea where and why things are. The blessed thing is that old fords are like the new honda civics. almost everything bolts in place with little or no real problems. well that is until you get to choosing aftermarket suspensions. then it gets EXPENSIVE and hair pulling as well. its my third week with my car and i still haven't decided on how much i want to spend on it. Just remember if you want the best your going to need lots of cash.

as for the battery. if it leaked, the acid might have melted the frame a bit. if you don't want to take the whole thing apart i'd at least take the front fender where the battery is off and check if there is any kind of damage there. if there is, i'd find a good weld shop and they can weld new sheet metal to strenghthen it up a bit.

Congrats and good luck with the restoration project. Don't let your son give up on it.

pain

·
Registered
359 Posts
DON'T tear it all apart! why? because I spent over 6 years looking for a mustang and you want to know that 90% of the ones for sale where? yep, torn apart and in boxes!

Do the car in stages. there is NO reason you have to tear out the trunk when you are doing the cowl. Especially when you are new to this, do it in baby steps.

Start with jobs that you think you can do in a weekend. This will get your feet wet and you will find out if you like it. You will also build up confidence and experience with each step. and if all else fails and you give up, you will get a better price for a car vs. boxes of car parts.

James

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You are about to embark on a very time consumming, expensive journey. I'm sure you and your son can do a good job, but the very first question you'll need to ask is how much time do you plan to commit to the project, and over how long a time to you plan to do it?

I've built 3 '65/'66 coupes from shells, fixed up a couple of '69 coupes, and am now building a '69 sportsroof, pretty much from a shell. The end results are incredible. The commradary, the car shows, car clubs, talking constantly to total strangers that compliment your car. It's really great.

But I STILL look at my sportsroof, after having built all these cars (couple non Mustangs, too) and still get that feeling of "OMG, WHAT HAVE I DONE, AND WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO?"

Know going in there's going to be lots of good days and LOTS of bad days. Know that it is a BIG project and do it in small steps. I would say at least half of these projects never get finished.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
DON'T tear it all apart! why? because I spent over 6 years looking for a mustang and you want to know that 90% of the ones for sale where? yep, torn apart and in boxes!

Do the car in stages. there is NO reason you have to tear out the trunk when you are doing the cowl. Especially when you are new to this, do it in baby steps.

Start with jobs that you think you can do in a weekend. This will get your feet wet and you will find out if you like it. You will also build up confidence and experience with each step. and if all else fails and you give up, you will get a better price for a car vs. boxes of car parts.

James
Amen, brother.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Look on Amazon for restoration books on Mustangs. I kno that there is at least one devoted to the 64.5-66.

Good luck and come back here when you get stumped. My son and I resurrected a '66 starting over 18 years ago. We both still remember the experiencve fondly, although you tend to forget the conflicts that WILL arise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts