Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351 Cleveland with a 500 Cfm carb on it which looks like it’s on it’s last breath it’s chocking and just not moving under load (was at first )and I know it’s hold the engine back (had the car only a year btw) and plan to build it completely one day

with these spec looking for any suggestions on what carb cfm I should run whether eddlebrock

Car problem gonna run this set up for another year or so ...

4v open chamber heads
351 single plenum toker intake manifold
Long tuber headers
Erson cam not sure the spec tho
automatic 4 speed trans I believe it’s a c4 I forgot from the time I purchased it
283 - 3.00 rear end
Any recommendations are appreciated !

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
A 500 CFM carb should be plenty of carb up until you get to very high RPMs. For daily driving it is plenty. If the engine is not running correctly with it you need to find out where the problem lies. Is it in the carb, ignition, cam timing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what your saying in all aspects my outlook is I’m trying to make it a mild street build in the future.

cam timing is fine ,new plugs/wires cap and rotor as well . I’m certain it’s the carb , the engine was running well with it for a while it just slowly started to act up I’ve cracked It open not too long ago and notice the inside was all garnish and not looking so good and just rather not rebuild it.

So that why I asked what carburetor should I run if I know I want a mild build and have performance in mind

eddlebrock 1404 what i have

appreciate your response!

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
So that why I asked what carburetor should I run if I know I want a mild build and have performance in mind
Which carb to run is up to you. Some guys are die hard Holley fans, others Edelbrock fans and then the Summit fans and the Ford/Autolite fans.
For a mild build just keep it around 600-650 CFM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 351 Cleveland with a 500 Cfm carb on it which looks like it’s on it’s last breath it’s chocking and just not moving under load (was at first )and I know it’s hold the engine back (had the car only a year btw) and plan to build it completely one day

with these spec looking for any suggestions on what carb cfm I should run whether eddlebrock

Car problem gonna run this set up for another year or so ...

4v open chamber heads
351 single plenum toker intake manifold
Long tuber headers
Erson cam not sure the spec tho
automatic 4 speed trans I believe it’s a c4 I forgot from the time I purchased it
283 - 3.00 rear end
Any recommendations are appreciated !
I think most Cleveland engine folks would say a 2v 500cfm carb is a poor match on a 351c 4V especially on top of a Torker single plane manifold.
A c4 is not a 4 speed transmission. So do you have a 4 speed or 3 speed?

If you seriously want to get it running better replace the single plenum with a decent dual plane like an RPM Performer and put on at least a 600 or at most a 750cfm carb. Unlike Windsor’s the Cleveland generally can handle the additional CFM unless its been seriously decammed. Make sure its a vacuum secondary carb for street use.
Edelbrock are very similar to the oem ford carb in design but nothing wrong with a new Holley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cor
I think most Cleveland engine folks would say a 2v 500cfm carb is a poor match on a 351c 4V especially on top of a Torker single plane manifold.
A c4 is not a 4 speed transmission. So do you have a 4 speed or 3 speed?

If you seriously want to get it running better replace the single plenum with a decent dual plane like an RPM Performer and put on at least a 600 or at most a 750cfm carb. Unlike Windsor’s the Cleveland generally can handle the additional CFM unless its been seriously decammed. Make sure its a vacuum secondary carb for street use.
Edelbrock are very similar to the oem ford carb in design but nothing wrong with a new Holley
Quick correction most definitely a 3 speed .

Also glad you brought up my “Toker” plan on replacing it with the carb I’ve been doing my research and heard single plane intake just don’t provide the same vacuum having a low pulse compared to a dual planes killing some throttle response and torque at the hand off of some top end speed which is ok don’t plan on driving full throttle like a mad man. You mentioned the rpm performer which I was already had my eye on would you say it’s just as efficient over the rpm air gap don’t know if you seen “Engine masters” where it’s proven to be the better intake however are the gains significant enough to spend the extra 70 or so.

More so just asking for your options so I can picture the combo I want to run and based of what you said I’ll probably go in between with a 650 don’t wanna over do it and go to big

·
Registered
473 Posts
The new Edelbrock AVS-2 is a really nice street carb that is very easy to tune. I run a 650 AVS on my Cleveland-powered '32 Ford Coupe and it is awesome and stone reliable. Best thing is it doesn't leak like most every Holley known to man! LOL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice car good point too didnt consider or know holleys leak or the possibility of having that issues in the future,I’ll look in to your “AVS-2” you’ve mentioned too appreciate your message!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I’ve never heard that Holleys leak. I’ve been running my Holley Street Avenger for almost 15 years and it still purrrrrrs like a kitten.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts