Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im no expert on cars, so i wanted to get your thoughts on which car should consider more.
I am from Europe, the prices are higher for Mustangs because of the import prices/taxes.

At the moment i have 2 choices
69 Fastback 302 cui automatic transmision. for about ~38k
or
70 Fastback 4 speed manual 351 cci for about the same pricing at the end. because of the transport costs.

My preferences are slightly on 69 for the looks. But for 70 the transmision and interior.
So overal wanted to know for your suggestions.

69:
70:

Will be thankfull for any information you can give me on these.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
It ultimately comes down to your preference (I too prefer the 69 body details), but that 70 looks like a better, cleaner car in general. Plus, 4 speed is better.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
The '69 headlights and taillights look much better than the '70 headlights and taillights. If I owned a '70 I would convert the headlights and taillights to the '69 style. In my book the '69 Mach 1 is the best looking Mustang until the S550 came out in 2015.

The '70 has Mach 1 emblems but it is NOT a Mach 1.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
LOL, I hate the four eyed look of the 69. 70 is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
It's funny how we all have our own tastes....I too favor the '69. In fact I toy with the idea of changing out the grille on my 2007 and putting the fog lights in there, similar to the '67 Shelby. I also like the exterior color of that '69...but the interior would need to go. You can always put a bigger engine and a man pedal in the '69 :cool:.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
There was a poll here a few years ago asking the specific question- '69 or '70? '69 won by a huge margin. And it was decided that the '69 M1 was the best looking Vintage Mustang. But I may be biased.
Me and 1969 Mach 1.jpg

·
Registered
776 Posts
The 69 is by far the most unique. The only 1st gen Mustang with quad headlights plus the rear quarter side scoops. Although, as the poll suggested, most prefer the 69, I sought out and bought a 70 Mach 1 for the basis of my restomod. The 70 Mustang Boss 302 was the Trans Am winner and I am doing a Trans Am look Boss 2 tribute. I think the 70 looks cleaner, just my opinion.
Regarding the two listings you show, given the cost is about the same, I agree that the 70 looks to be the better buy.
Before you plunk down the cash, make sure you inspect the vehicles or have an inspector do it for you. Both cars look good at 25 feet, you may see problems when you get up close. These cars can hide a lot of rust if you do not have them inspected or know what you are looking for. Spend your money wisely and know what it is you are getting. Just because someone places an ad, does not make them honest. Many here have had unpleasant surprises once the cars they have bought are home and subject to their own inspection, by that time it is essentially too late to do anything about the surprises.
Good luck and welcome to VMF

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
that paint scheme and interior on the 70 annoys me.

pick the car that needs the least amount of work

for me the 70 would have to be repainted and reupholstered. to each his own i guess

·
Registered
55 Posts
70 looks like the higher quality automobile imo, and Im really torn to have a preference between the two years. Plus vastly superior powertrain. I personally dont much care for the paint/interior on either so that's a moot point for me, but the costs of changing those could easily be a strong motivator if you have a preference.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
to me its six of one half a dozen of the other. for styling i prefer the cleaner looking 70, but i would take the 69 in a heartbeat. so in this case you pays your money and you takes your choice. flip a coin, go with your gut, etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,746 Posts
There was a poll here a few years ago asking the specific question- '69 or '70? '69 won by a huge margin. And it was decided that the '69 M1 was the best looking Vintage Mustang. But I may be biased. View attachment 760596
Who’s the Cool / Studly looking guy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for some advices, in the end it all depends mostly on own wishes and preferences as i guess. But for now still both cars are 50/50 to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts