Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started to chicken out and I got a few prices on replacing my shock towers on the convert. 400 plus... And then plus parts.
Plus the car would need to be towed to the shop and back because it is just a rolling chassis!

I can buy the MIG welder and some spotweld cutters for that kind of money and still get a
good coil spring compressor!

Well what do you think?? Can I do it? If I screw it up I still have the cool tools! How tough could it be if lots of other folks have done it?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
YOu can do it Gene! I did a lot of thiings I have never done before on the FBD and it didn't blow up!
YOu will learn somthing new. and I am sure you will get a lot of help right here on the VMF.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Cutting and welding chassis parts isn't rocket science...it just takes a methodical approach and some practice. BTW, the price you were quoted wasn't too bad, considering what I've heard here over the last couple years..

I'm with the "go for it" crowd.....I was scared to death before making the first cuts on the race car unitbody, but once things started progressing, it got easier and easier...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
spot weld cutter is a good tool and easy to use....

WHen replacing shock towers just make sure you measure three times and cut and weld once!!!

replace one shock tower at a time and you'll be okay.

Support the entire car so that the frame rails don't sag, keep the car as square as possible.

good luck!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts