Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do this car justice...Does anyone have any idea if a Mustang Coupe, built on April 17th, 1964, with a V8 4V ("D" code) is better restored to factory specs or if building a Honda killer out of it would ruin it?

·
7,005 Posts
It needs to go back to factory or near factory specs due to the build date.

You might change a few bolt on items if you wish....but retain all the original parts.

In my opinion.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil...Nice car!

Can you, or anyone, recommend a resource for determining where this particular car stands in terms of desireability? I've heard about a "Red Book"...would that help?

Armando

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
That's a good concours candidate--keep it stock. Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
It depends on your personal preference.

Just an FYI, the date on the doorplate is the "scheduled" build date of the car and could be off by as much as weeks before or after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charles,

Thank you for your FYI. This raises a question...
How do I determine the cars actual build date, if possible?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
To me it would depend on how complete and original the car already is. If it's already been modified, I'd continue down that route (I like modified cars better *LOL*). If it's pretty original and pretty complete, I'd probably vote for the concourse route.

In either event, though, I wouldn't do any mods to the car that can't be "easily undone".

·
Registered
317 Posts
I vote to keep it stock. If you want to build a "Honda Killer" find a later 65 or 66, there are thousands more left of them and the 64&1/2's.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Every Mustang on the road is a Honda Killer.

As long as you have a V8 you can pretty much handle any Honda. You might need to do one/some of the following: Gear your rear, tune your motor, consider a new 4v carb, some different exhaust

After the above: you're beating all the CiviCs, Del Sols, CRV's, Preludes, etc.

Leave the hand built S2000's to the big Ponies though.

G

·
0 Posts
Ford destroyed the 64.5-66 production records years ago. It is impossible to know exactly when your car was built. All you can do is rule out dates by inspecting components on the car such as sheet metal date stamps, drivetrain date stamps, etc... If you find a date on an original component after 4/17/64 on the car, rest assured that it couldn't have been built that day.

Unfortunately, this is the situation we are in without the production data.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts