Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject: Decoding '65/'66 Standard Seat Belt Tags

Anyone remember How-To Decode a normal '65/'66 seat belt tag?? I'm having some new Seat Belt tags made up and I want to get them right.

My seat belt tag reads:

2566-W6N

Does this decode as Feb 5th, 1966?? Anyone know the "W6N" decodes as?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Those are the tags. They were all stamped with numbers. Yours are worn off just like mine were.. The funny thing is.. My original belts in my convertible took a beating, and I pulled them out. I picked up a great set of original '66 standard black seat belts...Great belts, but the tags were worn... The belts are correct with a 1-66 date on the chrome buckles, but the tags read 2566-W6N which if the info is correct above, My original tags should read 1966-W6N since my car was assembled on the 19th week of 1966 Production as my other parts on my car also show the 19th week of build...It's just cool, but funny, that comes out the same as the year 1966, with 1966-W6N, even though the first 19 has nothing to do with the year. That is the number that I will have stamped on the tags....1966-W6N . I'm having the tags done by Snake-Oyl....at $20 bucks a tag..Pricey...but worth every penny. The FORD tags are super tough to find.....GM tags seem to be all over the place...go figure... I had originally e-mailed Python 3 times from two different e-mail addresses... They didn't even bother to respond..

-1 for Python.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PPS: I have other '66 Standardelt tags with the "W6N" seat belt designation.. I still don't know the signifcance...It probably has to do with the manufacturer....Ford used HAMMILL and ROBBINS as seatbelt suppliers for '68 to '73 belts... I don't know who the suppliers for the '64 1/2 to 66 belts were....most likely one of the two or possibly another supplier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tony,
Just curious if you know, when was the first week of production for 1966, and what date did production end for 1966?

I have three sets of OEM belts, two standard and one deluxe. The deluxe belts are for a Dearborn GT coupe. They have a different style of tag, and are turned 90 degrees to the belt. They indicate Hamill as the manufacturer. The stamping on the deluxe belt tags are W6P1 and 22-66, which would be consistent for the build date of July 19. The deluxe belts do not have a plastic piece at the male insert end of the belt. The deluxe belts have the sewn white tags on both the male and female sides of the belt.

The standard belts for a San Jose coupe are stamped on the plastic piece at the male insert end of the belt, 02-66 W6N, which is consistent for a January 27 build date. The white sewn tag appears to be only on the female side of the belt, but no stamping is visible on the white tag.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"stamped on the plastic piece at the male insert end of the belt" . Yes, I forgot about this piece, Mine are "lightly stamped here as well on my standard belts also.

Thanks for all of your great input guys..

This is a great thread...Not many people talk about original seat belts for some bizarre unknown reason...Keep the thread going..

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I've notice that as well... The '66 Deluxe belts usually are manufactered by Hammill.

The '65/'66 standard belts are stamped "FORD" though, though I don't know who produced them.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"The '65/'66 standard belts are stamped "FORD" though, though I don't know who produced them."

I just figured this out.. The '65/'66 standard belts are stamped "FORD", but have a "JR". stamped right below. I jogged my memory, and I then remembered that "JR" was a TRADEMARK for ROBBINS safety belt manufacturer. Sometimes, It is seen as "ROBBINS JR" on some later belts.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going through my old crappy original belts that came with my convertible, All of my original tags were gone, but out of all of the belts, only one of them had a legible date stamped on one of the original plastic "belt protectors" The date was "0466-W6N", 4th week, 1966 so that is what I am having stamped on my new tags. I guess the seat belts sat around in a box for another 15 weeks in the Ford Plant in Dearborn before being put on my car on the assembly line since my car was assembled in the 19th week in 1966. The is no doubt that the belts were original to the car Funny. Interesting info..

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that out as well. The standard '65/'66 belts only have/had the tags on the Female sides of the belts. Good observation, and a good thing too..which means you only have to order 4 new tags instead of 8.... :thumbsup:

I ordered "10" for any future belts that I may put in the car..down the road someday...just in case..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts