Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a finished 351 Cleveland that he's willing to sell me at a deal. I'm considering shoe horning it in to my 1966 coupe. The block is stamped in a couple spots. Passenger side rear has D2AE-CA and then underneath it there is a 3B3. On the back of the block there is a 3H159302 stamp.

1) as near as I can tell the block is out of a 72 full-size. Can anyone else shed any light on it?

2) my current set up is a 289 with a c4 transmission. In addition to a new radiator and custom headers, will I need to beef up my front suspension? I'm guessing I'll be adding about 75 additional pounds to the front end. I was also thinking of saving weight by going with a shelby style fiberglass hood over the stock steel.

Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are headers for that combo, I believe its FPA or Ford Powertrain Applications
Looks like the H in the vin number says its a 351C with 2V heads. Check the corners of the heads for a 2 or a 4 denoting 2V or 4V heads

·
Registered
734 Posts
[3B3] means February 3, 1973, the 3H159302 is the Partial VIN of the vehicle it came out of, a 1973 351, the H is the Assembly Plant.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the information. My buddy is wanting to sell it for 2k which sounded like a solid deal. Has water pump/valve covors/oil pan all installed. 351C 4v. Good deal?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[3B3] means February 3, 1973, the 3H159302 is the Partial VIN of the vehicle it came out of, a 1973 351, the H is the Assembly Plant.
Based on that is there any way to tell what type of car it came out of?

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Are the heads the open chamber or closed chamber 4V versions? The open chambers are worth a lot less.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Good question...how could I tell?
Pretty much the only way to tell for sure is to pull them off. I think you might get somewhat of an idea by casting date. If they were cast in 69, 70 or early 71, then they should be closed chamber heads.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information. My buddy is wanting to sell it for 2k which sounded like a solid deal. Has water pump/valve covors/oil pan all installed. 351C 4v. Good deal?
Depends on what was done to the motor. Does it have just new rings and bearings for example, or does it have that plus forged pistons, Stainless steel valves, adjustable rocker conversion, balanced rotating assembly, what cam set up etc.
4V heads are a plus as long as they are not late 73 4V's with the reduced size valves and huge combustion chambers to drop compression.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
am curious now on mine. Where can I see casting dates with heads already installed?

·
Registered
442 Posts
There might be alot more expense to make it fit in a '66 though.
Don't you have to cut the shock towers and raise the hood to get a 351C in there???
A new crate 302 would fit nice with no hassle and most likely less $$$ if you include all the necessary mods.
Even a 351W would be a much easier fit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There might be alot more expense to make it fit in a '66 though.
Don't you have to cut the shock towers and raise the hood to get a 351C in there???
A new crate 302 would fit nice with no hassle and most likely less $$$ if you include all the necessary mods.
Even a 351W would be a much easier fit.
I've been doing some homework on it and I shouldn't have to mess with the shock towers. Using some adjustable motor mounts ($200) and headers specifically made for the application ($600) it should fit in there fine. I'm putting on a Shelby fiberglass hood which should help with clearances but using the right intake/air cleaner I would have been ok even with a stock hood. Seems to be a fairly common pairing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
find the thread in question and copy (highlight and right click and copy) the address in your bar up top , then paste it in your reply

1 - 15 of 15 Posts