Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate when this happens. Good reason not to buy too much stuff ahead of time.

I can't remember what I bought these for. How many places might these be used? I took a pic next to a seat nut to show they are a bit smaller.
KIMG1583.jpg
KIMG1584.jpg
KIMG1586.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Look kinda like some I have seen on outer shock tower covers, a couple places under the dash, behind some kick panels, and inside doors, where no washer is used.

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
What you have there is a serrated flange nut. The flange acts like a washer, distributing the load over a larger area than the nut alone. The serrations act as a locking feature, preventing the nut from loosening under vibration. A possible use would be on the transmission linkage rods where the end of the rod has a slotted hole to allow for adjustment. The serrations will distort the metal that they are tightened against.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a manuals trans and can't find a place for it so i don't so. The body nut makes a lot of sense but I would not have bought them for that, I would have bought a bulk of them for that use. there were 2 in the bag. When i found them i thought "seat nut" because i was missing a couple but while grouping them them I saw they are too small for that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just took one of those serrated nuts off of my C4 shifter linkage for the trans. I'm sure there's a few other uses for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts