Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help... OK, what do you do when the new replacement gas tank sender unit doesn't work after less than 4 months. This is on a 69 Mach 1. All I get now is a dash meter reading floating loosely in the middle of the gauge. Could my dash gauge have possibly gone bad, or should I pull the tank gauge? What's the acid test to determine which component is bad? It's frustrating that aftermarket parts are made so poorly. Do I need to find a NOS sender, or is there some manufacturer out there now that creates a quality part? This isn't a fun job to repeat again.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Disconnect the wire from the sender and connect it to the chassis. If the gauge goes to "F", the sender is at fault.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Help... OK, what do you do when the new replacement gas tank sender unit doesn't work after less than 4 months. This is on a 69 Mach 1. All I get now is a dash meter reading floating loosely in the middle of the gauge. Could my dash gauge have possibly gone bad, or should I pull the tank gauge? What's the acid test to determine which component is bad? It's frustrating that aftermarket parts are made so poorly. Do I need to find a NOS sender, or is there some manufacturer out there now that creates a quality part? This isn't a fun job to repeat again.
I had a ton of trouble with mine too, gas was even leaking straight out of the electrical connection. I ended up putting the old one back in with a new brass float & new filter.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sounds like yours is acting like the crappy repro one, I recently installed on my car. There's a guy in CA. that rebuilds original ones and mine is on the way to him as I type this. He wants $75 for redoing it. If you have your original one and want to let him try yours too, PM me and I'll pass you his phone#.

Paul

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the test, but i think it's gonna be the tank unit. Unfortunately my original sender is long gone. Yet another mistake pitching it... assuming it was a broken piece of trash. Anybody make a known quality unit, or is refurbishing an old unit the only way to roll? This isn't that involved of a component, how can a re-make be made so poorly? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bought a Stainless one last summer for my '69. Finally installed it in the fall and found it didn't work right. Reads way too low. I agree, how can these be that hard to make properly? And yes, I ground my wire and it goes to full.

I think I might have my original stashed away. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like yours is acting like the crappy repro one, I recently installed on my car. There's a guy in CA. that rebuilds original ones and mine is on the way to him as I type this. He wants $75 for redoing it. If you have your original one and want to let him try yours too, PM me and I'll pass you his phone#.

Paul
Why don't you just post who it is?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Why don't you just post who it is?
To my knowledge he's an older guy, that only rebuilds them, when he has a little spare time, and without his approval, I don't think it's fair to post his name and phone# on an open forum. I'll ask him next time I call him, though.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts