Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking for solutions on how to solve my side to side motion of my axle under my ‘66 mustang. I arrived at two options: global west del-a-lum bushings, or a maier racing pan hard bar.

I decided on bushings and ordered through summit (can’t beat their service and returns). But I have been thinking about how these behave. While they won’t allow the axle to shift under the car they also limit the axle from changing angle on an uneven surface Or at least the suspension will bind or you are bending the axle tube or twisting the chassis. This is a street car but I’m trying to make it something that would be able to turn laps at a track day at some point.Currently I rub on the inside of the frame and the lip of rear fender. I haven’t installed the bushings yet. And I’m wondering if I should stick with these or get poly bushings or keep the rubber and get a pan hard bar.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I assume you have the shackle bushings, and according to GW, there is no bind. What they do is eliminate the rubber in the shackle, and that keeps the side to side movement to a minimum, but will still allow the spring and shackle to move.
A Panhard bar will do the same thing, but can change the rear roll center height.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,834 Posts
Either solution is a good solution for the problem. I run the Del-A-Lum kit in my ‘66GT track car and on the street prior to that. I wouldn’t say there is any bind at all. For a mixed use car I would lean more towards the bushings and a good reverse eye 4.5 leaf. For a dedicated track car I would do the bushings and a good reverse eye 5 leaf or the PH bar. I’m doing the first option on the car I’m building now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
When I first delved into this I was also considering the bushings. I called and spoke to Mike Maier, he actually answered the phone which really threw me off, lol. But he convinced me to go the PH route. The one thing you state that the PH is good at is allowing each side to work independently on harsh roads because the bar connection on the axle articulates up and down. You still use rubber bushings in this setup as well to keep some Ride forgiveness on his recommendation, he doesn’t recommend both. He’s got a pretty good video on his site as well. My goal was to have a car that I daily drive but is ready for the track when I’m in the mood and I love the PH, made a big difference in my car.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The rear on my car seemed to move a lot around corners when I got it. I replaced the 4 leaf springs with 4.5 mid-eyes and del-a-lum bushings (both from OpenTracker) and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious, How much would the ride quality and noise suffer running del-a-lum in the rear spring vs PH and a mix of rubber in the back and poly in the front of the leaf spring? It seems the PH would have better ride quality for a street car?

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Watts link + rubber or poly bushings + composite mono-leaf springs. :)

I'll be posting up my del-alum bushings once I swap springs later in the year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have the bushing, and it sounds like the ride quality isn’t diminished at all. It’s currently pretty harsh but I think that’s more got to do with my kyb shocks and the pot holes in Michigan. Any good tips for removing the old leaf bushings on my car currently?

·
Spammer Hammer
10,834 Posts
If you have tried normal tools (wrenches), you might have to cut the bolts out with a short blade on a demo saw.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had a panhard rod on my 65 and then changed over to the global west bushings, I liked the global west bushings, no ride quality difference. I can say that the car is more solid in a corner and there is no whip action from the springs flexing. My car sticks good but in a corner it will lose traction without warning, not sure if it's because of the bushings or my aging tires. Bottom line I'd do the bushing again!

Reactions: CJ9694

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had a panhard rod on my 65 and then changed over to the global west bushings, I liked the global west bushings, no ride quality difference. I can say that the car is more solid in a corner and there is no whip action from the springs flexing. My car sticks good but in a corner it will lose traction without warning, not sure if it's because of the bushings or my aging tires. Bottom line I'd do the bushing again!
Thanks Triton! I’m going to get started this weekend. Got any tips for getting the old bushings out? Would a ball joint tool do the trick or would a hydraulic press be better?

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,351 Posts
I never noticed any degradation in ride quality with the Del-A-Lum and the 4.5 leafs on the street.
Do you have a Watts or Panhard or just the Delalums?

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,351 Posts
Thanks Patrick, I’m my talks with John I was thinking delalum and ditching the rear sway would be the way to go. Wanting as much rubber as possible out back and even with fender lips rolled flat, I want to keep lateral movement to a minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts