Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Doug,

1250cfms for a stock SFB?! Since you plan to sell the car and the dual quad set up anyway why not sell or trade the intake setup for the other pieces you are looking for. We printed and balance our SBF, indexed the crank, 10.5:1 with JE pistons and H-Beam rods, roller cam and rockers, worked heads, port matched the intake, creamic coated Tri-Y's and creamic coated 2.75" exhaust to flowmaster 40's and a 715cfm carb was over doing it.

It may look charp but all show and no go sell pretty slow IMHO. I suppose you could try to open up your motor as much as possible if your handy with a grinder and go dual quad for S's & G's but I would be willing to bet you still will be pulling them off for a single carb set up. Try running it now with that setup and then trade for the mod pices you want or need.

My two cents,

Pat

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm afraid I'm in agreement. Let someone who can really use (and pay top $$ for) your 4 X 2 intake have it. Use the $$ to pay for upgrades. What's wrong with a simple edelbrock package... carb, intake, & cam plus dual exhaust with the ceramic coated shorties, H pipe and stuff.

A mild port on the heads and it will be good enough.

Good enough. That's what we're shooting for. Any better and you won't want to sell it, will you? ::

Slap a dress up kit on it(air cleaner & valve covers) and be done!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
If you were keeping the car, i would say do it. Your not, so sell that setup to someone who will appriciate it.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm incorrect in my thinking, let me know but from what I have read and have seen in other discussions on this same set up is this. The Carter Carbs work good as Quads over a lot of other carbs because of how the secondarys open up. Basically the secondarys are pulled open by the velocity of the engine vacuum in the manifold that comes from the piston being drawn down the cylinder. So the secondarys only open as much as needed, which is dictated by the engine rpm and air velocity. On normal vacum carbs when the vacum reaches a certain point then a vac operated valve starts to pull open the secondarys. This can be adjusted by different spring rates in the valve but the operation is not dictated by the velocity but rather vacum and springs. So the Carter carbs never over carburate because there never open more than what the engine requires.

Also I would be using a progressive linkage that allows you to use one carburetor to where you are using only the primary barrels of the rear carb for your daily street driving, not both primaries of each carb. I figure with a little tuning and possibly re-jeting if needed, these would work just fine.

Anyways.... I decided to end this post early, as I am not interested in trading it or selling it off. Will keep it and work it out on my own!

Thanks anyway!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts