Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Does he have a brother on the east coast, because all of that is sounding VERY familiar.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
What kind of guarantee is on the paint job? If the prep work wasn't done, you won't know for about 3-4 years or more.

I've been thinking about running my car by the local ford dealer's paint department and see what they have to say. They do a lifetime warranty on their paint and body work. Not sure how they can do that, other than playing the odds that people will get rid of the car before any serious issues arise.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
He's not far at all yet. Why don't you tell him you're just not comfortable with that flash rust and you would "like" to pay him another $50 bucks to just re-blast those inner doors so you can sleep.

It gives him an honorable out, and still gets you what you want. I've seen your cars, and $50 is not even worth thinking about if he goes for it. The other alternative is he'll do it but develop a chip on his shoulder, the relationship is shot and you know he'll get you some other way. Or you have a blow up and tow the car out, and now you're at his house knocking on his door looking for your money. Either way, you can't leave that.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
How about you do as the prior post suggests - greasing the palm to get another blasting to rid of surface rust, but also ask if you can follow immediately afterwards (same day) and go over the bare metal with metal prep? That will hold off flash rust for 24 hours or more.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,750 Posts
Justin:

Remember, when we were there yesterday, George claimed to have sanded and used metal prep on the inner door surfaces before he primed. Given that the flash rust in question is indeed just that, flash rust, if he did what he said, you should be ok. If you don't trust him to do what he says, then that is a different issue, and you may need to come visit the car on a much more frequent basis, perhaps daily, to satisfy yourself that he isn't just blowing smoke up your a$$......

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
What you're going through (along with everyone else that has body shop problems) is the main reason it's just easier to do it yourself.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work and is not for the faint of heart, but you'll be satisfied with the results of your own high standards.

Dave

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I am SOOOOOO glad I paint my own cars!

·
Registered
507 Posts
GT Scode,

I have gone through a lot of the same things. I have paid a fair amount of money for a complete job from start to finish (which is almost finished) and the whole process, which has been over 2 years if you can believe that, is still going to have flaws. I saw things not being done right, fitment issues, whining and complaining about how much work it was, etc. In the end, there will still be a few body fitment lines I won't be happy with and will have to work and adjust things myself. The paint is good, but there was a lot of dust particles and stuff, so even with the wetsanding, there are still bumps and imperfections here and there. Also, there are a lot of little indentations and pin hole type spots, but from what I am told, you can put a little clear in there and then buff. This has been a battle to the end, and at any mention of doing something a different way or how I wanted it done, they would get angry. These car guys are so difficult to deal with, that in the end, it unfortunately takes away from the fun of doing these projects. I may even have to pay another body person to do a few finishing things, which I shouldn't have to do, but sometimes these people just want to get a job out of there way, and when they are at the end, they just want to get through it as quick as possible. I hear what you are saying, but don't make the mistakes I did, which is just going along with what they say so that they don't get pissed off. I am never doing that again. If need be, I will put stuff in writing and only pay when work is done....Period. If I ever do one again, and that is not likely after this experience, I will do everything myself no matter how long it takes. This just isn't worth it. In 2 years I could have learned everything and done the entire job myself. I regret not doing that from the beginning, but we have to move on and do what we can. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Unfortunately your experience is not unique. Been there, done that. I've had two cars painted in my lifetime and both experiences were time consuming and exhausting.

Even throwing lots of time and $$$$ at a paint job is not guarantee that it will come out good.

Kudos to the guys who do it themselves but a lot of us just don't have a facility to do ourselves. Plus the learning curve is very steep. Consider that the two cars I had painted are a Shelby and a 68 R-code convertible. I just didn't want to do my experimenting on those two cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts