Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever decided to just paint the entire car that originally had a factory vinyl top?
My 67 coupe has a series of holes for an aluminum strip that holds the vinyl down into the roof gutters and has pop rivets to keep it in place then the gutter is sealed with a type of rubber or butyl caulk.
These holes would need to be welded up and some body work in the gutters. Not to mention the holes for the trim molding at the quarter panel, and the surface rust after the top was stripped off.
I might not take this job on, but wondered if it's been done and how things worked out? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Much work to do before final decision but thinking about changing the color from Springtime Yellow to Clearwater Aqua and painting to top as opposed to a black vinyl top appeals to the voters at the kitchen table. And 2nd 66, those aluminum strips are attached to a board on the wall for safe keeping!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Mine was done at one point and I had no clue until I saw the "worms" from the inside of the sail panel.
I think the vinyl top is the only +option that there are fewer of now than when new:bs: Tell the kitchen cabinet they are wrong:)

Sure would like to see the dimensions on those strips and their rivet holes.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
A vinyl top on a '65-68 hardtop sure looks sexy.
+1 on that!!
Keep the top. I like them so much we added one to our '65 coupe.
Lynn

·
Registered
236 Posts
I removed mine, it will NOT be going back on. However, what I have done is temporarily painted the top black. I started to try to fill in the holes where the trim goes, but thinking about it, I might just put the trim back on back still have the roof painted different of the main body color.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
"be careful with those aluminum strips they are very hard to find and not reproduced someone will want them."

Not true. They are repro'd now.. You can get '65-'66 and '67-'68. Also, They were made of chromed cast pot metal and not aluminum.

See weblinks below:

65-66 COUPE VINYL TOP MOLDINGS-PAIR

67-68 COUPE VINYL TOP MOLDINGS (PAIR)

:eek:)

Tony K.
Those moldings have been available for years but I don't think those are the strips that they're talking about. Its a strip in the drip rail that secures the edges of the top.

Its too bad the Op wants to scrap the springtime yellow and the vinyl top, Its a nice color and I too think the top looks great on the 65-68 cars.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A vinyl top on a '65-68 hardtop sure looks sexy.
bartl is correct. a Vinyl Top looks good on 65-68 hardtop. I was thinking of removing mine when I got to paint/body work. However, pretty much everyone says the love my top and cover combo. they have said, " I don't really care for the vinyl tops but your color looks great with the top.....

·
Registered
34,237 Posts
"be careful with those aluminum strips they are very hard to find and not reproduced someone will want them."

Not true. They are repro'd now.. You can get '65-'66 and '67-'68. Also, They were made of chromed cast pot metal and not aluminum.
Um, we aren't talking about the chromed white metal cast mouldings. 64-68 had aluminum strips sealed into the gutter to anchor the edge of the vinyl top. They were secured with a few pop rivets before the sealer was applied. Later, in 68, some cars actually had a stainless strip die stamped for the purpose. Neither is reproduced, and might as well be made of "unobtanium" they are so hard to find.

One other oddity about factory vinyl tops. At the bottom end of the A pillar, where the edge goes down under the fender, they were nailed in place with a couple of upholstery tacks.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love vinyl roofs as they look so period.
Those metal strips were never used on cars with vinyl roofs here in Australia.
I chucked them away and welded up the holes for the pop rivets. There not needed. Just another point for water entry IMO.
Any rust problems were caused by Ford just undercoating roofs before fitting vinyl tops and the vinyl tops now days are also welded at the seams to prevent water entry, where as the originals weren't.
And how many still drive in the rain ?

·
Registered
10,036 Posts

See weblinks below:

65-66 COUPE VINYL TOP MOLDINGS-PAIR

67-68 COUPE VINYL TOP MOLDINGS (PAIR)

:eek:)

Tony K.
Yeah, not what I was talking about
Those moldings have been available for years but I don't think those are the strips that they're talking about. Its a strip in the drip rail that secures the edges of the top.

Its too bad the Op wants to scrap the springtime yellow and the vinyl top, Its a nice color and I too think the top looks great on the 65-68 cars.
THIS^^^^^
Um, we aren't talking about the chromed white metal cast mouldings. 64-68 had aluminum strips sealed into the gutter to anchor the edge of the vinyl top. They were secured with a few pop rivets before the sealer was applied. Later, in 68, some cars actually had a stainless strip die stamped for the purpose. Neither is reproduced, and might as well be made of "unobtanium" they are so hard to find.

One other oddity about factory vinyl tops. At the bottom end of the A pillar, where the edge goes down under the fender, they were nailed in place with a couple of upholstery tacks.
And THIS ^^^^^ ,,I didn't however know about the upholstery tacks :shrug:

Also while we are on the subject I just removed what was left of my Original but not to my car torn and crispy vinyl top I was transplanted long ago before I got the car .and now I have this

I love the look of vinyl tops and I know they don't cost that much but after I clean up the mess from that one being on there I've been thinking about Plastidipping it for a long time ,plus I have the sunroof to contend with so that will be much easier

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for all your input!!
Since I've owned this car as a project for 21 years wondering about the paint color ever since visiting a local wrecking yard. There were several Mustangs but one stood out and it had a turquoise interior. I've tried to forget what I saw that day, but the moment is timeless.
Lightning, I wanted to be a purist and restore the car to original, however it will be driven for fun and want to make safety changes such as front disc brakes, collapsible steering column (it's an early 67) weld on plates and an export brace to stiffen up the front end, etc, by no means will it be concours (!!!!!), so I might as well have the paint changed to another Mustang correct color that brings back my boyhood.
Yes 2nd66, on Ebay those aluminum vinyl top strips strips are gonna cost a guy nearly $300!!
22GT, Yes, I found the carpet tacks attached at the base!

MUST66stang, Your car looks great, what color is that?

Bartyl, the decision is to keep the vinyl top!

Lakeside'66, I will try to get the dimensions of the mounting strips for you posted soon.

Thanks for all your comments, I talked to a painter yesterday, and he will work with me on the topcoat, I plan to replace the floorpans, prep and paint the engine bay and underside. Strip and epoxy prime, do bodywork and highbuild primer and send it out to him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts