Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all excited about getting the interior components in for the stang. The parts list is 2 1/2 pages long, and the first 7 packages of stuff has arrived! :: There is a small fortune worth of pony panels and seat covers, buns, visors, carpet, pads, screws, retainers, console plates and lenses, mounting kits, screws and more screws! Plus clutch parts, more seat parts, trim and doo-dads. And more yet! The office downstairs is piled high and deep with boxes, and more are on the way....

Am I excited? You bet! But....there is an order of operation to get all these parts on the car, and the installation is going to string out well into this winter.

For example: I really want to put the carpet in, but I need to weld up the underrider traction bars and get the rear exhaust installed first. After my little January car fire episode cutting off the leaf spring bolts, I want to make darn sure all the welding under the car is done before any upholstry goes in. I'll have the exhaust finished out at a local service garage, but they need to align the front end while the car is in. Before I can get the front end aligned, I need to remove the coils and cut them down a little. The coils are brand new, but the front end sits way too high. Because the front end sits too high, I'm maxed out on camber adjustment. With the coils cut down a little I can get the camber well within specs. But...to do the coils I need to remove the fenders! I need to fix the front of the fenders to match the edges of the valance which will require cutting and welding......!!!!!

Whew!!!!!!

I'm not lacking for projects now! :: All this because my parts just came in and opened my eyes to the "real challenge" of completing "phase 4" of the restoration.

Oh yeah, with all the little parts and detail pieces, I still need to order more stuff which was forgotten or overlooked. All that will take more money and time again. Man is this fun!!! ::

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
When you figure it out, you let me know ::. I'm at the same stage, I've got box after box of parts in the garage. Floors will be done in 3 weeks...it was easy taking everything out/apart, hopefully I can figure out how/where everything goes back together! :p

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've also got boxes of stuff waiting on me. Gonna get some paint on it 1st, then start on the interior.

·
Registered
305 Posts
wish I could say my parts where waiting on me. I am trying to figure out how to get the parts I need so that I can press on.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its slow in coming for me. Ussually I sell stuff and moonlight on the side to get a jag of $$$ for the project. I sold my old John Deere tractor to scrape up the cash for the interior. About twice per year I'm able to save up some money for an order...its never enough. My crate was a stripped out shell when I got it, so there were not many parts which to use.

Hang in there, everyone gets his turn for "UPS glory" every once in awhile. :)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is really starting to come around Randy. She actually helped pick the interior colors! :: As the car is coming together and looking like a hot rod instead of a rusty shell, SWMBO has warmed up to the stang somewhat... ;)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I figured it out...

Went to the garage and cranked up REO Speedwagon, sifted through the parts and installed the sunvisors. They are really nice quality pieces and the parchment visors and parchment headliner match up really well too. That got me excited, although the sunvisors are a PITA to get trued up with those big chome pins and whatnot....

·
Registered
192 Posts
But...to do the coils I need to remove the fenders!
Do you really need to remove the fenders to pull the coils on a 66? Never done a 66, but I didn't have to pull the fenders on my 68 Cougar to get at the coils and thats a pretty similar front suspension...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, I've had these fenders on/off a million times, so its takes me just a few minutes to completely strip off the front grill work and the fenders. However, I'll need to leave the fenders on to get the valance alignment right...then take em off for the coils.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts