Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get the 67/68 deluxe shifter handle reconditioned? The plastic has several small cracks and rubber O rings in push button are rotten.
Thanks Dan...

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,499 Posts
The rubber "o" ring can be found at your local plumbing supply, just bring the knob along and find a ring that fits. As for the plastic cover cracks, I recall seeing a web page of someone who reconditions these things...unfortunalely I did't bookmark it at the time and I can't remember who it was now. Hopefully someone else knows.

·
Registered
981 Posts
these are now made reproduction.I believe NPD carries them.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,866 Posts
Yep, black from NPD for $55. Colors available for $60.
Of course they came out with these about a month after I FINALLY found a used one with "minimal" cracking for almost as much money. Only took me 3 three years of on and off hunting to find one. Figures. ::

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I recondintioned one the following way. After a very complete cleaning to get all oils off, I used Zap-a-gap super glue, put a thin bead in the crack, and then sprinkled baking soda on top of it. This makes a very sturdy plastic like fill that hardens very hard after a bit. But prior to it hardening all the way, I sand lightly with 400 grit wet dry to bring it to the level of the surronding plastic. Once these are all filled and flush, I used my dremel with the small dental bur tip and carefull applied the grain in the areas that where filled. This is time consuming, but necessary. After, I masked off the chrome portions and sprayed the plastic with vinyle dye. Looked as new, and has held up a long time. Old modeling trick, works good for restoring broken portions of Lionel trains too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts