Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm having engine oil burning problems and took the '67 to a rebuilder here in San Jose recommended by VMFers.
Well the guy at Ralph's Machine shop (Andy) was very freindly and helpful. Suggested the ol' leakdown test and then make a informed decision.
He asked what carb I was using and when I said a Road Demon he made a awful face. Said they were terrible carbs that always ran rich and would slowly ruin rings because of that. He won't guarantee a engine of his with a Demon. He said they sure are marketed well and that's why people buy them, oh and they look pretty too. Said I might get 14mpg on the highway if I got a Edelbrock or Holley. Oh well I'm a sucker for good marketing..../forums/images/icons/mad.gif

So looks like some serious engine work is in my future.

Oh and then I find out the rattle noise in my left front is my rotor moving on the hub. Not a good thing. Getting that fixed Thursday.

Can you say money pit?????/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I don't have any particular ax to grind, so I'm going out on a limb here.

If I'm not mistaken, a Demon is tuned like any other carb. Jet and idle mixture adjustments are possible. So if a carb is running rich, is it the carbs fault or the tuners fault.

Maybe this mechanic figures anyone running a Demon must surely be a "performance type". And maybe this mechanic's engines can't hold up to a few high rpm runs. Then again, maybe he is a victim of someone else's marketing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The statement by Andy:
Said they were terrible carbs that always ran rich and would slowly ruin rings because of that.
Should be the clue that he is at best incompetent.
No properly adjusted properly jetted carb is going to do that. If you had that much raw fuel in the cylinders that it would wash the lubricant from the walls causing accelerated wear the motor would run so poorly that it would be barely drivable.
Continue your search for a rebuilder pass this guy by

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
There are restrictors that can be installed in the metering block to cure the rich idle, air bleed jets can be installed to fix a lean idle.

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
Hey Mike
Remember Chuck (McGyver) from the Southbay cruise? He got one of those carbs and was having problems, so he found a book (sorry I don't know the name but I think it is the only one out there) and said that it was GREAT. Not only for info about the Demon but just info about carbs. I know that Vic Hubbard here in Hayward has them. Give them a call.
Stan

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey Mike,

I think this guy is right! You shouldn't have that Demon on your engine, so as the true friend that I am, I will take it off your hands, and just because I'm such a nice guy, I will pay shipping! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Mike:
Your post is the first real negative I've read about Demons. In fact, many people have said they loved theirs. It really is the same basic design as a Holley, so I'm puzzled as to why this guy is convinced they all tend to run rich.

I have an Edelbrock, and while they are pretty good carbs, they also have their weak points (Can you say"Percolation"?).

Don't know if you have already committed to doing business with this fellow Andy, but you might look for a second opinion.

Sorry to hear about all your mechanical woes...that is really a beautiful car.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
WHOO NELLY!!!!!!
I have both a Road Demon and a Speed Demon. I would take a Demon Carb over any other carb out there. Once you learn to adjust them they are great carbs.
I have no idea where he is coming from. if it's runnning rich yuo can jet it down just like any other carb. I too would look for another mechanic.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Road Demon carb on my 351C and have ran it for about 6 months. I did have to jet it down two sizes on both the primary and secondary because it was running rich. This is a great carb if properly tuned for your application. My experience tells me that the carbs come out of the box from the factory with jets that are too large for almost anybody with a small block. The carb is based on the Holley design, only better. If your mechanic has experience with Holleys, he should be able to tune the Demon for you. If he won't guarantee the motor work with a tuned carb, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
So, is there black smoke pouring out of the tailpipe and do your plugs have a mound of carbon on them? *G*

Seriously, if the Demon carbs are anything like the old Barry Grant carbs I've worked on in years past, they're a masterpiece of design and execution...the only reason I stayed with my old Holley was because I couldn't afford one for myself (they were about twice what they are now, cost-wise)...

If yours is sized correctly for your engine, there's no reason not to continue using it. They're eminently adjustable...

Let us know when you get the leakdown results in...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Demon carbs are the best carb I've seen and used. Very easy to tune, usually the ones that don't like them are the ones that don't understand how to tune anything. Definately find another mechanic.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You hit the nail on the head.When you hear things like "this brand is junk",it actually means "I don't know what to do with it".There are NHRA stockers turning ten second ET's with OE quadrajets.However,this is typical in the world of repair shops.Most are just parts switchers that don't how to diagnose or fix anything.There are very few real mechanics to be found....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I feel for you and willing to help you out. I'll trade you my Holley 600 CFM (farily new, runs well) for your Demon. I'll even include 2 Holley factory Ford carbs from an 85 GT. Plus I'll even pay for shipping! Why would I do this? I guess I'm just a nice guy willing to help an other VMF'er out. PM me if you take this seriously.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Interesting, I just bought a Demon carb to replace my Edelbrock 1407 that I can't tune for racing. I called Edelbrock's tech support today about the off idle stumble in my motor that I just can't get rid of. They told me to drill out the accelerator pump nozzles to increase the fuel flow. I thought about it and decided that I'd rather sell it and get something more tunable, I hope the Demon works,

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Mike:

Like the Ford vs Chevy debate, it seems that everyone has an opinion on carbs. Last year, I went through the process of selecting a new carb. I got lots of opinions based upon first hand experience. For example, Chris at Mustang Fever suggested that I take the leaking Holley double pumper off my car and toss it as far as I could, replacing it with an easier to tune Edelbrock. I tend to agree with the other posts about knowing how to tune a particular carb. I suspect that all other factors being equal, a properly sized and set up carb of any make should run well. Keep us posted on the progress of your rebuild and your experience with Ralph's.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts