Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Fastback with a balanced and blueprinted 351W in it running the Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake manifold. Heads are World with 2.02 intake valves and compression is 10 to 1. Hooker headers, top loader and a 3:50 detroit street locker rear. Currently have a little 600CFM Holley with vacuum secondary and would like to know if anyone has any experience with these other brands of Carbs. I lean toward the Demon but the Edelbrock is cheaper and the Holley is something I'm very familiar with. Love to know if anyone has tried one versus the other. You can't read the magazines because they tell you whatever the advertiser told em. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I love my demon and it seems magazine build ups are using alot of them but not all the time. Demons have alot of features that holley leaves out on more expensive carbs. The edlebrocks are easy but leave a little out for realy fine tuning.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Holley's are great, but are finicky and often difficult to tune. Edlebrock's on the other hand, IMHO, are very reliable, and SIMPLE to fine tune (and anyone that says they can't be fine tuned never tried ;)). I've never had a Demon, but I hear lots of good things about them. I've heard of them being a little more difficult to fine tune as well.

I'm running an Edelbrock 1405 on my '66's 289 (351w heads, 10:1 pistons, RPM intake, yada, yada). I currently have a 1406 on my sportsroof, and daughter's '69. I might get brave, though, and give the sportsroof's to my son and try a Demon once I build the new engine.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My choice would be the Mighty Demon, which is basically a Holley 4150 HP for a less $$$. Or a Speed Demon, which is cheaper, but does not have the tunable air bleeds the Mighty Demon does.

http://www.barrygrant.com/

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Seems aveyone has a favorite as I learned a couple of years ago when I was facing the same question. I ended up going with the then newly released Holley Street Avenger 670 on my big block. Despite hearing about many others who have difficulty with tuning Holleys, I lifted mine out of the box, bolted it on, and adjusted the idle...that's it. Trouble free and it solved the many problems I had with my old leaky Holley double pump. Don't know if my experience is common with this line of carbs but I have no regrets. Good luck making your choice.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Edelbrocks will be inexpensive, usually leak free, easy to fine tune, but usually wont make as much power.

Holleys are middle of the road costwise, frequently make more power than the edelbrocks, can leak, and have more parts available. They also have a better accelerator pump setup than edelbrocks.

Demons are more expensive, like holleys make more power than edelbrocks, and could leak. They have greater adjustability than holleys and theorhetically could be finer tuned than holleys.

Most of the holleys dont (in stock form) have easily tweaked bleeds and power enrichment flow tweakability.

A lot of the demons have easily replaced bleeds....I'm not sure about their power mode mixture adjustability.

The edelbrock performers dont have the tunability of the secondary opening rate (you can grind the counterweights but if you go too far, you'll have to somehow add mass back to them) or the accelerator pump. They do allow easy adjustment of the power enrichment mixture, which makes me wonder why they rarely have the power producing capability of holleys and demons.

I personally like holleys.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
What are you doing/going to do with the car and what tires will you be running?

I run your combination, except with more compression and an automatic, in the race car. I have a feeling my instincts and opentracker's aren't that far apart. Having said that, I run a 25 year old Holley 3310 (which has never leaked BTW *G*) and have seen excellent performance from it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Sharkmouth has told you Johnpro. I say we ban johnpro!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts