Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not me, but my roommate. She's been a Navy Reservist for 11 years now (E-5, Corpsman) and has never been deployed. Just the standard one weekend a month and two weeks a year the entire time. Well she just got the call yesterday morning and less than 24 hours later I was driving her to the airport. She's heading to San Diego for two weeks and then Guam for an undetermined (so far) amount of time. I guess they are building a temporary hospital there and she'll be part of the staff. This will be her third trip to Guam (she did her two week AT there twice).

She's a Rad Tech at a hospital so she thought that maybe her chances were low since that's an important civilian job right now, but she was still mostly ready to go due to the circumstances. As of her getting into the car this morning she didn't even have her ticket information or anything. At first they wanted her to fly out last night, which would have been less than 12 hours notice. I think that is a little bit faster than what is supposed to be the standard notice! Crazy times!

I know a kid (early 20s) in the Army Reserves, one of my good drinkin' buddies. He's a helicopter mechanic. He's probably not going to get deployed but you never know.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
I retired from the USN in 2010 but still see the emails. There is a new rapid deployment procedure in the reserve community.
They used it first just recently to bring doctors, nurses and corpsmen into New York to augment the medial staffs at hospitals.
Yours is the first I'd heard of it being used for less critical needs..... unless Guam somehow figures into the current sitiation.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, she's an E5, Petty Officer Second Class. I don't think she tried very hard to be promoted. The kid is in his 20s was an E4 instantly. But he's not trying for promotions either. My cousin retired after 20 years as an E6 or E7. Iraq, Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, Iraq again. I think he was every hot spot except Afghanistan. Bronze Star. Had more **** on his uniform than any officer at his retirement. But still just a Staff Sergeant or Sergeant First Class. Who knows why.

EDIT: My cousin retired as an E7.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not uncommon for Reserve folks to stay at jr enlisted grades for long periods of time.. even entire careers. Still in the Army myself (19yrs), see it all the time (I’m an HR officer).

The Army has also reached out to retirees for a recall back to active duty to support this COVID thing. National Guard already has a ton mobilised, as does the Army Reserve.

Anyhow, wish your roommate the best of luck while in Guam.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think from her perspective, after a pretty boring month spending all her free time at home, it's an adventure. She was a little annoyed by the super short notice but overall seemed almost happy about it. She's going to miss her puppy that she just got before Christmas but the dog is in good hands.

From my perspective, which is irrelevant really, it might get weird being alone all the time during this. But I also may take the opportunity to renovate my bathroom since she won't be using hers.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
God bless all those who take an oath to serve and keep it.
Some people are happy in their role and don't desire the additional responsibility or commitments required with promotion or supervision, responsibility for others' actions, even with potential pay and prestige. And that's okay if they're happy.
Sometimes people aren't promoted for reasons we may not be aware of, outside looking in, only so many spots available without a transfer or internal issues. I think part of my job is to help those under my supervision grow and attain promotion if they want it, to leave a legacy and even be willing to be superceded myself for the greater good but not at the expense of leaving a void in the foundation that holds up the house or propping up a tower this old wall can't hold! Haha!
Anyway, many well wishes and thanks to all those who have served and still do, even after discharge.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean I'm in the private sector but I don't really want to be the CEO of a company. It's not for me. Some may see my desire to never hit the executive level as a lack of ambition but I'm more of a technical person and I know that. Still, I strive to be the best at what I do. Take being a police officer. Some people retire as uniformed patrol officers. Some people retire as detectives. Some people take a more supervisory role like watch commander or captian, even chief. All are valid, equally rewarding paths for the right person. Not ever becoming the chief doesn't mean your career path went awry.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her deployment has something to do with this:

·
Registered
689 Posts
God bless all those who take an oath to serve and keep it.
Some people are happy in their role and don't desire the additional responsibility or commitments required with promotion or supervision, responsibility for others' actions, even with potential pay and prestige. And that's okay if they're happy.
Sometimes people aren't promoted for reasons we may not be aware of, outside looking in, only so many spots available without a transfer or internal issues. I think part of my job is to help those under my supervision grow and attain promotion if they want it, to leave a legacy and even be willing to be superceded myself for the greater good but not at the expense of leaving a void in the foundation that holds up the house or propping up a tower this old wall can't hold! Haha!
Anyway, many well wishes and thanks to all those who have served and still do, even after discharge.
I mean I'm in the private sector but I don't really want to be the CEO of a company. It's not for me. Some may see my desire to never hit the executive level as a lack of ambition but I'm more of a technical person and I know that. Still, I strive to be the best at what I do. Take being a police officer. Some people retire as uniformed patrol officers. Some people retire as detectives. Some people take a more supervisory role like watch commander or captian, even chief. All are valid, equally rewarding paths for the right person. Not ever becoming the chief doesn't mean your career path went awry.
Totally agree with both. At least for the Army, there is a slow change to how promotions are viewed, or to those who choose to stay where they are.

Seems like your roommate is on a worthwhile mission. All my best to her on her deployment!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Army has also reached out to retirees for a recall back to active duty to support this COVID thing. National Guard already has a ton mobilised, as does the Army Reserve.
I dropped my retirement paperwork in January with a end date of 31JAN2021.
Rumor is that I might be a “stop-loss.”
Doesn’t hurt me either way and AFAIK is just a rumor.

Several thousand Army and AirForce medics currently deployed across all states and territories performing COVID19 tests. And several thousand more is support of those operations.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I dropped my retirement paperwork in January with a end date of 31JAN2021.
Rumor is that I might be a “stop-loss.”
Doesn’t hurt me either way and AFAIK is just a rumor.

Several thousand Army and AirForce medics currently deployed across all states and territories performing COVID19 tests. And several thousand more is support of those operations.
Haven’t heard anything about stop loss. Depends on how soon the Army can resume BCT and AIT. Definitely within the realm of possibility if the Army cannot maintain end strength.

Keep watch for those FRAGOs..

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My roommate is now on total lockdown inside a hotel room. I guess it's a nice hotel so that's good. Meals are delivered three times a day and she says they're awful. Worse than prison food. Can't say that surprises me. :LOL: They were told to go out and buy snack food for their room prior to the lockdown.

They've asked her to do online training before heading to Guam. The hotel internet keeps kicking her laptop off every ten minutes. It's old and she's had problems with it in the past. I think she was able to find someone local in San Diego, like a friend of a friend of a friend, to wrangle up a new one. I think from Walmart since they're one of the few retailers still open that sells laptops. She ordered a new cell phone before she knew she was being deployed but it hasn't arrived. I'm hoping I'm able to get it to her before she heads off to Guam. She was supposed to be in San Diego for two weeks but that's not even a sure thing at this point. Everything sent to her, or dropped off for her, spends 24 hours in a quarantine. They say UV light kills the virus fast. I wonder if they've set something with UV sterilization. That's what I'd do.

She thought maybe the hospital might be done before they get to Guam but it looks like that will not be the case and they will be assisting with that too.

Lots of unknowns. The military doesn't operate quite like I always assumed, maybe that's circumstantial during a crisis. I assumed that they would be able to tell her exactly how everything is supposed to happen ahead of time. I think that's a perception civilians have about the military. But I guess, like anything, it's all still just people doing the best they can with the resources that are available.

I'm providing updates cause it's interesting, at least to me. I'm assuming she's not telling me anything classified. Putting two and two together I think we all know this has a lot to do with that aircraft carrier.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Yeah, there's minimal logic used in the military. At least not when I was in between '80 and '82, and I doubt it's changed much since then.

·
Registered
852 Posts
They say UV light kills the virus fast. I wonder if they've set something with UV sterilization. That's what I'd do.
Depends on what you consider fast.
Yes, many microorganisms can be killed with UV light, including viruses.
For example, let’s say the front of your T shirt is covered in bacteria. Just lay it out in the sun for 3-4 hours and now it’s “clean.”
That’s not what I consider fast.

I’ve been in the lab at the West Desert Test Center. There was not a single UV light in sight.
However there was lots and lots and lots...
and lots of bleach.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I have an ozone generator normally used to kill scent in the deer woods and on clothing that I am using to sterilize stuff that I really don't want wet: checks, tools, the air I breathe etc.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well she ended up not getting sent to Guam- they took 50 instead of 150, but because she's attached to that unit she's still deployed and will be as long as they are. They sent the remaining 100 people to three facilities in Southern California. She ended up staying near San Diego. She has a little more freedom but is now staying in a roach invested (literally, seen the pictures) dormitory with shared bathrooms. Of course everyone serving in any sort of military organization should be prepared for things like this (and, granted, it's not a war zone or anything close) but many of these people have never been deployed and are simply not ready. They aren't exactly Navy SEALs.

That's the news up to yesterday. And today we hear this:

It's almost as if this is a really contagious virus or something?

Anyway, this has all been anyone's guess on a daily basis. I don't really expect that to change for the duration. The situation is too unpredictable.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I am happy to hear that reservists that are activated to AD do so without complaint.

It wasnt that way during the first Gulf War. Lots of complaining.

I retired in Aug 01, was recalled to AD in Apr 02 for 38 months.

by law, military retired pay is classified as retainer pay.

We all do our part to keep America strong and safe.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
In nearby Nelson County Ky, saying anything to disparage reservists and National Guard are fighting words. Back in 69, the National Guard unit was called to Nam to support the 101st Airborne. Supposed to have been a non combat role, most of the guys had never seen combat and weren't as well prepared as they should have been. They ended up as participants in the notorious battle at Fire Support Base Tomahawk. During a downpour, the enemy stripped down and slipped through razor wire to infiltrate the base and started tossing satchel charges. The base was almost destroyed and was about to be over run until Puff The Magic Dragon showed up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts