Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....On my no longer hypothetical project. Took a ride into central CT today and spent a few hours going over my new project. After hemming and hawing with myself, I decided that I should take the leap. The seller has already done the sheetmetal work and squared the car up. It has a new front suspension on it and comes with almost everything to build it to completion, includin a rebuilt 302 and Toploader. What he doesn't have that I do is time. So I put the deposit down and will be taking delivery of it at the end of Winter. Which will work out well since it gives me time to clear out a working stall for it. Along with stocking up on materials and a few tools.

While it is definitely a project, the bulk of the heavy lifting is done. I crawled all over it and have to say that it is nice to find a not-rusty car here in southern New England. After browsing the area over the last 10 years, I'd pretty much given up. The fact that the car is stripped out allowed me to see everything that usually gets hidden by undercoating. Compared to what I have looked at, this is a great place to start. Like I told a friend, it's like a blank canvas for my cash and nightmares. Anyway, without further delay.....

Here it is....

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a great Canvass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I have to admit that I am a bit nervous with finishing the body work. But the seller has been adamant that he will help me along with guidance and actual help. He had people from all over asking him about the car. But he made it clear that he preferred selling it to me since he could both have a hand in building it and then also get to ride around and play in it.

The roof and windshields are my biggest fear. But once the roof is primed and the glass installed, the whole project should be pretty straight forward. Having played and worked on a bunch of Fox bodies and now a SN95, I forgot how little there is to these old coupes. So, once the grunt work is done on the body, I should be able to sail along on it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congrats on the project and good luck. Have fun with it, looks like a good place to start.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
67 my favorite!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like about the same condition when I started my project, empty shell, engine and trans out of the car. Be sure to collect every part you can from the seller. You'll still find later that parts are missing. Headliner bows, stainless trim, interior parts, and on, an on.

New inner fender aprons on the front end? Did the guy keep the old metal with the VIN stamped on it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like about the same condition when I started my project, empty shell, engine and trans out of the car. Be sure to collect every part you can from the seller. You'll still find later that parts are missing. Headliner bows, stainless trim, interior parts, and on, an on.

New inner fender aprons on the front end? Did the guy keep the old metal with the VIN stamped on it?

Yes he did. I had it in my hands today.

As for the parts, we went up into his attic and looked at everything he has. It's a lot. Of course I will have to source some stuff. But it won't be that much. He has totes full of parts for me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good luck buddy!
That’s going to be a fun long project!
Great start though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Looks good. Just my $0.02 though.... I'd avoid spending ANY money on "stuff" until you physically have possession. While having the seller accepting a deposit provides SOME security you never know what can happen. For example, if the seller gets run over by a bus tomorrow and his assets end up in probate, what security do you have that you'll ever see the car? Not wanting to put a damper on stuff but I always try and think "What could cause a SNAFU?".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good. Just my $0.02 though.... I'd avoid spending ANY money on "stuff" until you physically have possession. While having the seller accepting a deposit provides SOME security you never know what can happen. For example, if the seller gets run over by a bus tomorrow and his assets end up in probate, what security do you have that you'll ever see the car? Not wanting to put a damper on stuff but I always try and think "What could cause a SNAFU?".

The seller is going to write up a list of body materials and then use his discount to get them when I pick up the car. He owns his body shop and does high volume with his reps. So he gets a pretty steep discount on materials. As for my own tools, this car is the impetus for me to grab a couple of pneumatic tools that need to be out in the shop regardless of the project(s). Other than those few things, thanks to dad, I have everything short of a lift.

That said, I do understand and appreciate the advice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts