Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have swapped engines in my '66(to a 3.7L v6 specifically). As part of this swap I made custom equal-length longtube headers:

It is hard to see here, but the issue this causes is one of the primaries is now taking up a portion of the space that used to be occupied by the factory blower motor, so to achieve climate control, I need to re-design the whole box in such a way as to move the blower motor inside entirely(another option would be to find a blower motor with a shorter body, but I have been unsuccessful finding one so far)

Now aftermarket AC systems for 67+ cars show a different type of box:

This shows a blower mounted on the end of the box...but I am unsure if that blower motor is strictly for the AC or whether it has a 2nd motor for heat occupying the original location, also unsure as to whether one of these boxes would fit a '66(The rest of the system is easy enough to use whatever pieces I need, its the box itself and blower motor that is my main concern here)

Does anyone know of any other maybe universal street-rod type boxes that are entirely under-dash? I plan on closing up the hole to the engine bay entirely if possible.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Super Moderator
9,773 Posts
Now that’s a Project, very cool.

With all of the fabrication involved, why go with a V6, vs something with monster hp, like a twin turbo 351 or 460 stroker?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I think you are saying you cant use the heater/defroster blower. The ones that hang under the dash , OE, have their own squirrel cage blower behind the evaporator.

That will be an interesting combo. It would say it should do around 300+HP around 6200K rpm with a good tune. Gearing will be the key to make it fun.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that’s a Project, very cool.

With all of the fabrication involved, why go with a V6, vs something with monster hp, like a twin turbo 351 or 460 stroker?
For the very simple reason that the build really isn't about power so much as it is about handling. You can get 1000HP out of just about anything these days with enough time and money invested(even seen a few 1000+HP 4 cylinder engines)....but the 3.7L weighs in at just 270lbs....and its much more difficult to lose engine weight than it is to gain power. When finished, this 3.7L will make right around 350HP(It makes 305HP stock)....which is pretty moderate, but still far more than even a factory K-code, but even after all the extra bracing I have added to the car it should weigh in about the same as a factory 200ci I6 car. Besides...if I ever wanted more power(those days are behind me since 350HP should pull a 12 second quarter after all) all I would need to do is turbocharge the engine...plenty of turbo 3.7l engines putting out north of 500HP...the new Ford GT uses a derivative of this engine after all and puts out what? 550HP? Good enough for a supercar, good enough for a humble old T-code. It also helps that if I keep the HP mild I will be able to get 30MPG highway...not a big concern for most vintage mustang owners, but since I plan to drive the car almost daily, its something of a concern to me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are saying you cant use the heater/defroster blower. The ones that hang under the dash , OE, have their own squirrel cage blower behind the evaporator.

That will be an interesting combo. It would say it should do around 300+HP around 6200K rpm with a good tune. Gearing will be the key to make it fun.
Yeah, I have seen the under dash units use their own blowers...the issue with that is that those blowers dont move any air over the heater core...just the AC evaporator coil...so you would get AC but no heat?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
What engine management are you using?

Call Vintage Air and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What engine management are you using?

Call Vintage Air and see what they recommend.

I have a Megasquirt 3 w/MS3x card built for this....everything works on the stimulator, but I have not yet made a harness for the engine(getting it running is the easy part, making a good tune from scratch is going to be the real trick)

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
I put a Vintage Air evaporator kit in my '65. The blower motor sticking through the firewall into the engine bay is gone. The hole where it was is covered by a metal plate and the metal tubes to the evaporator core pass through that plate so it may not work with your V6. 20200721_160605.jpg 20200721_160527.jpg

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a Vintage Air evaporator kit in my '65. The blower motor sticking through the firewall into the engine bay is gone. The hole where it was is covered by a metal plate and the metal tubes to the evaporator core pass through that plate so it may not work with your V6. View attachment 762122 View attachment 762123
Awesome....that would work ideally...the tubes passing through would probably be just fine if I used 90 degree fittings instead of 45(even the 45s would probably work...but I cant imagine that header heat that close would make for an efficient AC system). In fact, I could probably use the entire Vintage Air kit if I could swap the pulley on the compressor to a serpentine pulley.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have a friend that works at Vintage Air in the R&D dept. I can ask questions if you want. Let me know...

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, I have seen the under dash units use their own blowers...the issue with that is that those blowers dont move any air over the heater core...just the AC evaporator coil...so you would get AC but no heat?
I don't think that is accurate. I used an Old Air Products AC and checked out vintage air as well. Both remove the old blower and heater core. There are heater and AC parts in the replacement box and the blower does both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im actually in somewhat the same issue with AC system. I made a firewall cover to clean up the engine side and tucked all the wiring and heater hoses (used -6an) under this. On the front drive I have the serpentine pulley system from the f250 I removed the 351w from. Will use the AC compressor from this setup and adapt this (Peice/ weld the end fitting) to a universal AC system they sell online. I made a carboard template for the dimensions noted for the evaporator and used this for mockup/fitting. In the 1970 coupe its a tight fit but it does fit, with what you have done on your car you get my idea.
Please note I have not bought this kit yet as this will be next years project but I like to plan ahead so made provisions for it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
As stated above, the VA blower is under the dash and the A/C tubes come through a metal plate at the firewall where the blower motor used to be. The only problem that this presents is the tubes are thin aluminum, and it may be difficult to use a 90º fitting there. Although VA has a ton of parts in their catalog that could probably be used to make a 90º fitting.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have swapped engines in my '66(to a 3.7L v6 specifically). As part of this swap I made custom equal-length longtube headers:

It is hard to see here, but the issue this causes is one of the primaries is now taking up a portion of the space that used to be occupied by the factory blower motor, so to achieve climate control, I need to re-design the whole box in such a way as to move the blower motor inside entirely(another option would be to find a blower motor with a shorter body, but I have been unsuccessful finding one so far)

Now aftermarket AC systems for 67+ cars show a different type of box:

This shows a blower mounted on the end of the box...but I am unsure if that blower motor is strictly for the AC or whether it has a 2nd motor for heat occupying the original location, also unsure as to whether one of these boxes would fit a '66(The rest of the system is easy enough to use whatever pieces I need, its the box itself and blower motor that is my main concern here)

Does anyone know of any other maybe universal street-rod type boxes that are entirely under-dash? I plan on closing up the hole to the engine bay entirely if possible.
I like what your doing, and have the same question. Looking for a small street rod type AC I can install so I don't sit out half the summer autocross events due to Asthma. Don't need fancy, just functional. I see cool stuff on auto shows but can never find it online.

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
Looking for a small street rod type AC
I bought the Vintage Air evaporator kit for a '65/'66 Mustang but put the rest of the system together myself. I didn't want A/C hoses running all over the engine bay so I mounted my compressor low on the right side of the engine and moved the alternator to the left side. I picked out my own compressor, condenser and filter/drier. I made up all of my hoses.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you looked at Restomod Air yet? Their kits look very customization
MUSTANG - Restomod Air

I used ClassicAutoAir but made all my own AC hoses using reduced barrier hoses. I hid them all behind the fenders.

View attachment 762388

View attachment 762389
I like the system you built there...very clean(though I would be worried about leaks with that many extra bulkhead fittings), sadly it doesn't look like it would work for me, I think because they sent the heater lines through there it moved the inner AC line too close to the engine...almost certain to interfere with the header primary for me, the VA system looks like it has a bit more room.

I bought the Vintage Air evaporator kit for a '65/'66 Mustang but put the rest of the system together myself. I didn't want A/C hoses running all over the engine bay so I mounted my compressor low on the right side of the engine and moved the alternator to the left side. I picked out my own compressor, condenser and filter/drier. I made up all of my hoses.
My compressor(whichever one I end up with) will have to be mounted low(possibly very low since the timing cover of the v6 is so much further back than a typical V8 that there is no room because of shock tower pieces, which means I may have to drop it low enough for the body to clear the LCA mounting holes) on the passenger side. What filter/drier and condenser did you go with? What reasoning behind the choices for them? Curious because there seem to be several bolt-in options available for those pieces.

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
What filter/drier and condenser did you go with? What reasoning behind the choices for them? Curious because there seem to be several bolt-in options available for those pieces.
I should have written that information down somewhere but I didn't. I knew what the dimensions of the condenser needed to be and I knew I needed the ports on the right side so I shopped around on-line until I found one that fit my needs. The filter/drier is just a generic in-line unit that I attached to the fender apron with a clamp. My compressor is the very short Sanden unit and the mounting bolt passes through the ears and screws directly into the cylinder head.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll be using restomodair on my car. With all they offer with choices of bulkheads, you can custom design how you want to run everything. I intend to flatten the firewall and run all the plumbing inside the fenders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts