Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these compare in value/price to a C code 289 all else being equal? ( ie... condition, year.. ) the thought of a 6 banger fastback has always intrigued me..

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would think it would be hard to find an extremely clean original 6 Fastback. That does not mean that they are valuable. Many of these cars have been converted to V8's for the obvious reason that the market is bigger, and they are easier to sell.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I recall reading somewhere -15% for a six, all else =.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just ran a quick NADA guide comparision. Average price with a 289 = ~ $18,000. Average with the I-6 = ~$12,600 or about -20 percent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kar Mustang has what appears to be a solid/unmolested 6 cylinder fastback in their inventory... 66 model with the sprint package, $18500

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a 68 FB that was originally a six. Great car, tight, unmolested. A six could be interesting though, particularly if you went to a company like Clifford to see what you could do to increase performance. The assumption here would have to be that you got it for a VERY good price.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, amazing! I guess the real intrigue for me is that it looks like a performance car but has the base model engine... Kinda neat.. I would wonder though after always driving 289's, would i be dissapointed in a 200 "6"

·
Registered
54 Posts
You may want to check this web site http://www.fordsix.com/index.php, which is dedicated to performance I6 cars, a lot of which are Mustangs. I have an I6 in my 66 mustang converitble that was rebuilt using a "warm" cam among other performance goodies. The increased performance is pretty stout and lightening fast on the road. It has plenty of pedal regardless of how steep the grade, and the result is an enjoyable ride with plenty of reserve pep at impressive mpg. The fun of driving this car is not diminished an iota when compared to V-8 cousins, but most if not all of them would have a hard time believing it. For me it is arguable that within the law and bounds of safe driving my I6 delivers better performance and just as much thrill as any V-8 - but then that's just me. I also own a '56 t-bird with a stock 312 that tears up the road, and so I do have something to compare with.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Well, it makes it a lot easier to clean the engine compartment. :lol:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've never driven a Mustang with a 200-6 but my mom had a Fairlane when I was a kid. This was a very, very, very slow car... It's probably OK if you're very patient and never in a hurry. ::

Also, you could never... :track:

With that said, I knew a guy 30 years ago that had a Maverick with a built 6. It seems like it was only decent in the 1/8 mile...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Had a buddy in college back in 1970 with a 1965 coupe with a 170-1V inline six and auto. It was sooooooooooooooo slow it was a joke. He once got it up to 75 mph with 4 of us in on a 10-mile stretch of I-95. That was the only car he ever owned that he never got a speeding ticket in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The actual reduction for the I-6 is 20 percent that NADA used compared to the same car with a 289. The key is the body style not so much the engine.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago 200/4spd combo for 4500, in basically the same shape as the sig except the bumpers, misc trim, and the obvious v8 swap. The 200 was a turd, my friends re-named it the generator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts