Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone around Seattle who is skilled at working on cars, is maybe retired (or not), always needs a project to work on, enjoys teaching???

I bought a 1965 coupe recently. Hood mostly restored to be daily driver. I don't know anything about cars to start and this is my first vintage car. I'm hungry to learn everything and anything about how to work on this car and keep restoring it. Looking for someone I can maybe drive to on the weekends and can learn from? Willing to drive a few hours away even. Just hungry and excited to learn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Just my .02, but I would buy the Shop Manual and Osborn Assembly Manuals.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=shop+manual&top_parent=1&year=1965

These will be invaluable resources as you learn to work on your car.

You may also want to look into joining a local Mustang club to get connected and expand your knowledge.

These items, along with the vast resources and knowledgeable members of VMF should cover most of the bases.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my .02, but I would buy the Shop Manual and Osborn Assembly Manuals.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=shop+manual&top_parent=1&year=1965

These will be invaluable resources as you learn to work on your car.

You may also want to look into joining a local Mustang club to get connected and expand your knowledge.

These items, along with the vast resources and knowledgeable members of VMF should cover most of the bases.
Yes, I have purchased the manuals and already reached out to clubs. Forums are one of many places I'm reaching out to. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Is there anyone around Seattle who is skilled at working on cars, is maybe retired (or not), always needs a project to work on, enjoys teaching???

I bought a 1965 coupe recently. Hood mostly restored to be daily driver. I don't know anything about cars to start and this is my first vintage car. I'm hungry to learn everything and anything about how to work on this car and keep restoring it. Looking for someone I can maybe drive to on the weekends and can learn from? Willing to drive a few hours away even. Just hungry and excited to learn.
I really like your attitude. Its always nice to have someone to help you with things, teach and learn from. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam, I'm in Leschi. It's running. Was rebuilt under the hood to be a daily driver. We need to redo the weather stripping. It's got really bad condensation issues when we tried to cover it so I don't know where we need to seal it. We need to do some things to make the inside safe and dry. We have a long list of little projects. We eventually need to redo the carpet and seats. Very far down the road we need body work and painting done. Going to have the upper control arms replaced this week to try and take care of a knocking and squeaking sound. Not sure that I know enough of anything to even determine all that needs to be done. But it's a solid car. Not much rust, drives well.

Sea

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yes, great attitude. Much better than the GoFundMe approach to restorations:grin2:
Experience is the best teacher, since you have the manuals and the internet just start trying. The control arms would be a good start, its fairly straight forward, jack it up safely, nuts and bolts and a little beating to get some joints apart(plus drilling 4 holes for the Arning drop you'll want to do) and in a couple weekends you have even more experience and about $500 bucks you didnt spend.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can feel you. Reading books and forum posts is a great starting point. I have the feeling you can build up knowledge this way. However, sometimes comments like lubricate this part or use some RTV helps a bit but for rookies the question is always HOW MUCH IS "SOME" RTV. I also watch YouTube videos in addition. After a while you get a feeling which channels are good and which are bad. Combine it with everything you learn here and in the shop manual and go make your hands dirty.

It is a great hobby and sometimes you will fail the first time, but I guess all of us did at the beginning.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Autorestomod on YouTube has many how to videos which can help you.

·
rdnck1
226 Posts
Autorestomod on YouTube has many how to videos which can help you.

https://youtu.be/BZT12KmZ_VE

Love those guys and yes they do some good video's. Funny at times and they do not cover up issues they run into and explain ways around them. There are others out there as well so do your own research. Really like your attitude so I'd would suggest as others have, buy the books, join the clubs, research online, maybe offer beer or food if you get a taker for helping and teaching :smile2: Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi, Seab. I live in Burien and am in the process of restoring my 66 coupe. It's listed in the Build forum here under "66 bucket coupe". If you would like to get in touch, let me know at my email address: [email protected]. I'm a retired Postal Lead Automotive Technician and have been working with cars for over 60 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts