Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good detail shop to remove all the little scratches in my paint before Hot August.

Before you all jump down my throat and say do it myself ;) I don't come anywhere near my car with a power tool. I don't trust myself enough to do it myself. And the regular (by-hand) products aren't doing the job.

So, anyone have a favorite deal shop in the Bay?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Don't give up on doing the job yourself and try to save a few dollars. Can I ask what you used that was ineffective?

I suggest you try again and use a paint cleaner first. They are lightly abrasive, remove light scratches, and can be applied by hand. (Better results with a polisher, though.)

I suggest Meguiar's Deep Crystal system Step 1 Paint Cleaner and Step 2 Polisher. Also try Zymol HD-Cleanse. I've achieved the best results with the Zymol.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried:
-Some "pink stuff" I got at Hot August Nights; been very effective for me in the past
- Meguires Scratch-X
-Klasse

It definitely needs something more abrasive, which I am hesitant to do. However, I have seen scratches such as these be removed before. You can't feel them with your nail and I do do not believe they are through the paint (at least 98% of them aren't.

Basically, someone decided to use the car as their personal table when it was dusty... you get the pictures. Don't get me started on how much that ticks me off...

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I used Meguires Cleaner Wax successfully to get some cat scratches out of my paint, it's advertised as helping to remove light scratches, etc.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meguires Scratch-x is designed to remove scratches, and has definitely done so for me in the past, but these are going to require extra oomph (like removing the top layer of paint). Maybe rubbing compound?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree. Scratch-X is most effective if you work it into the scratch. Wipe-on & wipe off doesn't get good results. Prior to having a detail shop work on your paint, you might want to try MG's Ultimate Compound. It's more abrasive than the the X.

Here's a link to MG's detail forum. They might have some addl tips for you.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You might try Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It really takes some time behind a polisher to get the feel for how brave to get when rubbing out a car. Try hitting up a couple of body shops in your area to get the paint buffed out. They can usually do this kind of stuff if all they are doing is the paint. Its not that much work but having a pro do it is a better way to go if you don't have the expierience and don't want to start now.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you're gonna attempt using a wheel yourself, be darn sure you stay away from your edges. I've seen a lot of good paint jobs ruined by fast wheels taking the paint right off to the primer in seconds. Edges, even those fender peaks on early Mustangs, get less paint in the first place....so be careful!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts