Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Guys, I couldn't find a thread on here about it, so figure Ill start one.

Lets talk about cleaning our stangs! What do you use on your exterior and interior? What about getting stains out of carpets? Hiding those scratches in your paint? Polishing the chrome? Shining the tires?

I guess Im really looking for advice, my stuff seam to do to well.

Heres what I'm using
ICE Wax / Shine thing
ICE interior cleaner
Tire Wet
Invisible Glass
and Some Chrome Cleaner thats on a shelf....

So whats your recomendation?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Wax: Either IBIZ or NXT whichever I grab first.
Detail spray: Meguiars or IBIZ, same story
Glass: Invisible glass.
Interior cleaner: What's that?
Chrome: I have been using Never-Dull but have recently been told that may not be the best thing to use.
Polished aluminum: Mothers billet polish
tires: Eagle One had a great product in an applicator bottle. Seems to be off the market now so?

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Maguires wax
Mothers detail spray
Stoners Glass
303 areospce protectant for all exterior vinyl and rubber including vert tops and tires.
Vinylex for all interior rubber and engine hoses.
Good ole fashioned "Chrome polish" for chrome.

Dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used to do some professional detailing on the side, so my process may be overkill to some people. If I'm doing a complete detail, I start with a good wash in dawn, always using the two bucket method (sheepskin only, never use a sponge, they scratch). I rinse the car, dry it, then I clay bar the car. I use pinnacle clay bars and a little mothers quick detail for lubricant. Then I wash again to get all the clay bar residue off.

If I don't have any bad imperfections to deal with, I start off with a mildly abrasive ssr(scratch and swirl remover) and a light cutting pad, and buff with my da. After that, I move to a polishing ssr with a polishing pad. I use poor boys ssr1 and ssr2, it's good stuff.

Then I usually rewash the car with an actual car wash soap to get all the dust off from the ssr, and dry again. The it's time for final product. Depending on the car color, and whether or not it's a daily driver, I'll either use a really pure carnuba like p21s and apply it by hand, or a polymer type product like four star ultimate paint protection and put it on with the da. I like the way carnuba looks better, but it just doesn't last. The upp looks really good too and lasts forever, but it can give a Saran wrap look, especially on lighter colors.

After that, it's time for a final wipe down with a little quick detail. For the tires, poor boys bold and bright is awesome. It dries and doesn't stay sticky, and it looks great. For the chrome and wheels I use klasse all in one.

For vinyl, 403 aerospace protectant is all I use. It's not greasy and it's an awesome protectant. It doesn't look all shiny like other oil based products (armor all) and it won't ruin your vinyl like a lot if cheap parts store stuff will. For leather I use pinnacle leather cleaner and protectant.

That's my process, and it comes out looking killer. If you want to learn everything there is to know about detailing, check out the detail city forums, those guys know everything there is to know about car care. I learned pretty much everything I know from them, and they sell all if the stuff I use.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hmmmm....

1. I painted my car matte black....wash it and dry it, never any wax.
2. I have Rhino Hide on my floors....brush and soapy water, vacuum the water out..
3. Interior panels are bead rolled aluminum...just grab the wifes can of Pledge and wipe 'em down.
4. Wipe off the wheels. Maybe a little detail spray.
5. Glass cleaner the windows, wax the bumpers and hood.
6. Drive it and load it up with bugs.
7. repeat from step 1.
:)

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
I use Meguiar's products almost exclusively. Haven't washed my coupe in several years (other than the tires). Before a big show, I clay bar the car (the one time I use Mother's products), then may wax it. I probably will wax it this year. I use QuikMist Detailing spray in-between, and use Windex in the engine compartment for spot cleaning. I finish up with scrubbing the tires, especially the whitewall area, with BlecheWhite. I don't put any spray on the tires until it's at a show and I hate the shiny stuff.

To spiff up the wiring harnesses and hoses in the engine compartment, I put some lanolin hand cleaner in my hands and rub the wiring and hoses, after which I use a paper shop towel to remove any excess. It conditions them, cleans them, and doesn't leave a too-shiny appearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts